SwaggerHub for Jenkins

Abhyudaya Sharma

Aug 14, 2019, 1:09:47 PM8/14/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone!

I would like to suggest having a Jenkins organization account on SwaggerHub. For the new Folder Auth plugin, I have created a Swagger YAML specification for the plugin's REST APIs. You can check it out here. Having such a specification would help potential users find the APIs (and documentation) without needing to dig deep into the codebase. Also, SwaggerHub can generate stubs in multiple languages for users to easily interact with these APIs. Currently, the specification for the Folder Auth plugin is hosted on my personal account. It would be great to have a Jenkins organization account like on GitHub and have a common store for APIs of all plugins.

Thanks
Abhyudaya Sharma
GitHub: AbhyudayaSharma

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 28, 2019, 8:15:22 AM8/28/19
to Jenkins Developers
Just to bump this thread, I would say that it would be great to have REST API specs hosted in a centralized ways, similar to plugin Javadocs. Looks like SwaggerHub offers a pretty good user experience, so why not?

Some notes:
  • We could also make Swagger documentation upload a part of the plugin continuous delivery flow once it is ready
  • Same, we could add links to REST API specs to plugins.jenkins.io once there is a critical mass of plugins using such approach
  • The story would be really interesting if combined with the automatic Swagger spec generation for Jenkins plugins (GSoC 2019 project idea)
Best regards,
Oleg

Mark Waite

Aug 30, 2019, 5:32:20 AM8/30/19
to jenkinsci-dev
I like the idea of hosting the Jenkins REST API documentation on swaggerhub.  I think the GSoC 2019 project idea would make it even better.

While trying to learn more about swaggerhub, I created an organization called "Jenkins", assigned the e-mail address of Jenkins documentation google group (jenkins...@googlegroups.com),  and have invited several people to join the organization as part of the experiment.  The organization is a 14 day trial plan, which I assume means that we'll need to fund the hosting of the API spec there, or we'll need to negotiate with them to donate hosting for the API.

Let me know if you'd like an invitation to the trial organization that I've created.  We can evaluate for two weeks and use that time to negotiate with SmartBear to ask them to donate hosting for the Jenkins project.

Mark Waite

I've sent

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Aug 30, 2019, 5:54:12 AM8/30/19
to jenkinsci-dev
Abhyudaya Sharma could you send your e-mail address to mark.ea...@gmail.com so that I can invite you to the Jenkins organization that I created on swaggerhub?

I've started the conversation with Smartbear (the company that has created swaggerhub) to ask if they would be willing to donate hosting of the Jenkins organization.  I'd love to spend time in the next two weeks during the trial period to further test the idea.
--
Thanks!
Mark Waite

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 1, 2019, 3:09:01 PM9/1/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to Mark and Abhyudaya for starting https://app.swaggerhub.com/organizations/Jenkins !
Right now we have only one project there, but indeed we can get more hosted later.

If someone wants to get their plugin Swagger specs to be posted there, I believe the best way is to manually create a Swagger specification and then to add it to the repository.
Then SwaggerHub admins can import it. If there is a high interest, we can automate it later using ci.jenkins.io

Best regards,
Oleg

Abhyudaya Sharma could you send your e-mail address to mark.e...@gmail.com so that I can invite you to the Jenkins organization that I created on swaggerhub?