Proposal: Moving the plugin adoption labels from Wiki to GitHub topics

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 11, 2019, 9:23:04 AM11/11/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Currently the Adoption labels are on Wiki, and hence it is no longer a way to mark plugins for adoption or unmark them for common contributors. I suggest moving the process to GitHub and to use a more-or-less common "adopt-me" GitHub topic.
Suggested changes:
  • "adopt-me" label is added to plugins which are currently marked for adoption
    • As a bonus, only people with Write permissions in a repo will be able to mark plugins for adoption
  • https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Adopt+a+Plugin is moved to GitHub. There are pending JEPs to change the process, but we can move it as is for now
  • "This plugin is up for adoption. "  is removed from Jenkins from Jenkins Wiki macros. Later we can add an integration with GitHub topics to the plugin site (https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/INFRA-2240)
Would everyone be fine with such suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Tim Jacomb

Nov 11, 2019, 9:41:55 AM11/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 25, 2019, 4:04:41 AM11/25/19
to Jenkins Developers
Update here. After https://github.com/jenkins-infra/update-center2/pull/316 by Gavin Mogan I think it makes sense to permit using the `adopt-this-plugin` label like in Wiki.
Later we can add some logic to support merging the labels

BR, Oleg

Gavin Mogan

Nov 25, 2019, 4:44:45 AM11/25/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
My PR will pull any github labels it has access to, then merge in the wiki ones (from the https://github.com/jenkins-infra/update-center2/blob/master/src/main/resources/label-definitions.properties i believe), then filter them through the whitelist we setup.

So i think merging is taken care of, its just eventually deprecating wiki/label-definitions.

Next steps could easily be writing a bot that adds all the existing labels to github

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/8a5550bd-8006-4ab5-b076-3072da309ccc%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 17, 2020, 4:51:11 AM2/17/20
to Jenkins Developers
The pull request from Gavin has been merged yesterday.
Now it is possible to query adoption and deprecation statuses from the plugin site:
Now we just need to build some frontend on the plugin site around these labels.
I will update the documentation accordingly and then create follow-up tasks for the plugin site: https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/plugin-governance/adopt-a-plugin/

BR, Oleg

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 10:44:45 AM UTC+1, Gavin Mogan wrote:
My PR will pull any github labels it has access to, then merge in the wiki ones (from the https://github.com/jenkins-infra/update-center2/blob/master/src/main/resources/label-definitions.properties i believe), then filter them through the whitelist we setup.

So i think merging is taken care of, its just eventually deprecating wiki/label-definitions.

Next steps could easily be writing a bot that adds all the existing labels to github

Ullrich Hafner

Feb 17, 2020, 5:20:12 AM2/17/20
to Jenkins Developers
Am 17.02.2020 um 10:51 schrieb Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com>:

The pull request from Gavin has been merged yesterday.
Now it is possible to query adoption and deprecation statuses from the plugin site:
Why do we have 2 labels for the same thing?

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 17, 2020, 5:24:56 AM2/17/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Why do we have 2 labels for the same thing?
"adopt-me" was recommended by GitHub devrels as a common label for such cases.
At the moment it has a whopping 10 usages (see https://github.com/topics/adopt-me), so I am not sure about it.
I am perfectly fine with using a single label or with setting up synonyms.

BR, Oleg

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Feb 18, 2020, 2:35:21 AM2/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
What about to add also a badge to the GitHub readme?
Something like the following badge

https://img.shields.io/badge/Adopt%20me-Adopt%20this%20plugin-red

Gavin Mogan

Feb 18, 2020, 2:37:15 AM2/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't have to be either or, but I prefer the GitHub topic since they are searchable and don't require committing to mark it as ready to be adopted.

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Feb 18, 2020, 3:01:45 AM2/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Sure, the badge is something additional,
something that users can see when they go to the documentation, then they can decide
if they want to use a plugin in adoption.

Tim Jacomb

Feb 18, 2020, 4:02:19 AM2/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
The badge could be automatically added on the plugin site if one of the adopt topics is added to the GitHub repo?

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 18, 2020, 4:05:40 AM2/18/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, plugin site is something I will be doing (see the comments above).
The problem is rather with GitHub repositories and direct access to them. In this case a badge could improve visibility of the adoption status.
We could serve a badge from the plugin site for that, but IMHO it is a separate topic.

BR, Oleg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAH-3BicYmYzqjqo7TbOogb5LhuNBNtgmWcgd2Ld8C65aJduzbQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 19, 2020, 9:13:31 AM2/19/20
to Jenkins Developers
I have also submitted the new plugin adoption process here: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/2875
While I was there, I also documented a similar plugin deprecation process which should help to unblock other stories.

P.S: "adopt-me" label is removed for good so we will have a single label

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 20, 2020, 11:36:44 AM2/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
TL;DR: The process is up and running!
BR, Oleg

Tony Noble

Feb 24, 2020, 11:36:28 AM2/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
So just to clarify - if I remove the 'adpot-this-plugin' topic from a plugin's GitHub project, that will automatically sync to the plugin page?

Tony

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 24, 2020, 12:09:02 PM2/24/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, it will. Unfortunately there are some significant delays due to eventual consistency. Extra fixes may be needed.