Blue Ocean for developers

Ullrich Hafner

Oct 13, 2017, 10:55:42 AM10/13/17
to Jenkins Developers
Is blue ocean ready for plug-in authors? Or is the API still in flow?
I found two empty pages in the wiki:
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Making+your+plugin+work+with+blue+ocean
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Blue+Ocean+development
So I’m wondering if it makes sense to start to look at the current state from a developers perspective?
Or should I wait for more things (and documentation) to come? Is there a good starting point for developers available?
Or should I fork https://github.com/jenkinsci/blueocean-plugin and start to look at the code and documentation there?

Sorry for so many questions but I’m just not sure if I already should spend time in that quite interesting new part of Jenkins…

signature.asc

Keith Zantow

Oct 13, 2017, 12:41:04 PM10/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ullrich,

I hope not to overstep my bounds, but I would like to say a few things:

1) Blue Ocean is currently extensible, there is an extensibility mechanism described in the README
2) there is some ongoing work to provide a simpler and more type safe method of extending Blue Ocean, which will likely land before 2018

I'm not sure of your needs, but holding off for just a bit might be wise.

Thanks,
-Keith

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 13, 2017, 1:49:02 PM10/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
This is one of the topics I'm really keen on. Needless to say, it's incredibly important for plugins to be able to extend Blue Ocean just like they can Jenkins.

I've seen some of the stuff Keith has been working on, and I'm really looking forward to those.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Ullrich Hafner <ullrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is blue ocean ready for plug-in authors? Or is the API still in flow?
I found two empty pages in the wiki:
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Making+your+plugin+work+with+blue+ocean
https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Blue+Ocean+development
So I’m wondering if it makes sense to start to look at the current state from a developers perspective?
Or should I wait for more things (and documentation) to come? Is there a good starting point for developers available?
Or should I fork https://github.com/jenkinsci/blueocean-plugin and start to look at the code and documentation there?

Sorry for so many questions but I’m just not sure if I already should spend time in that quite interesting new part of Jenkins…

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Jesse Glick

Oct 13, 2017, 3:49:01 PM10/13/17
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <k...@kohsuke.org> wrote:
> it's
> incredibly important for plugins to be able to extend Blue Ocean just like
> they can Jenkins.

Someone needs to take over

https://github.com/jenkinsci/archetypes/pull/24

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Oct 14, 2017, 2:04:31 PM10/14/17
to Jenkins Developers
Waiting for 1 year for any information about non better (non jelly) UIs in jenkins for non workflow job types and other plugins. My impression is that jenkins is totally locked with hard deps to workflow job type today. Huge blueocean repo with model duplicates outside of plugin code is not something that we expect for development/usage.

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Oct 14, 2017, 2:04:59 PM10/14/17
to Jenkins Developers
s/non//

Ullrich Hafner

Nov 4, 2017, 12:59:22 PM11/4/17
to Jenkins Developers
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Then I will wait a litte bit longer…

Maybe a related question: since blue ocean will not support freestyle jobs (but freestyle jobs will hopefully be still supported in Jenkins in the future).
Are there recommendations of the blue ocean team on modern Java script libraries that plug-in authors should use in plugins? (Otherwise new freestyle UIs will again need a heavy refactoring in order to get it into blue ocean).
E.g., YUI is dead, but no alternative has been suggested for Jenkins yet. Wouldn’t it make sense to provide at least some recommendations, so that the plug-in ecosystem will not diverge (and there are sooo many new libraries).
Or is the set of libraries in https://github.com/jenkinsci/js-libs a good starting point?

signature.asc

Jesse Glick

Nov 6, 2017, 3:29:29 PM11/6/17
to Jenkins Dev
On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Ullrich Hafner
<ullrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> blue ocean will not support freestyle jobs

AFAIK B.O. supports basic display of freestyle builds.