Jenkins Operator sub-project of Jenkins request

Bartłomiej Antoniak

Mar 1, 2021, 10:21:34 AM3/1/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I'd like to request Jenkins Kubernetes Operator https://github.com/jenkinsci/kubernetes-operator to be added as Jenkins sub-project.

For VirtusLab, this is a strategic project, with dedicated team and long-term commitment.
We are planning to join CD.Foundation projects portfolio, as well as establish general membership to bring some expertise in cloud-native CI/CD ecosystem.

Having Jenkins Operator part of Jenkins avoids legal and compliance work needed to join CD.Foundation.

Please let me know if there are any specific document/pull requests needed.

Regards,
Bartek

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 3, 2021, 6:10:55 PM3/3/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Bartek,

Thanks for starting this thread! I am +1 for officially making Jenkins Kubernetes Operator an official sub-project. It is the current state anyway, so it just formalizes the current state.

I am still not sure how Jenkins subprojects and CDF projects align in this context. I doubt it is possible to be a Jenkins subproject and a separately listed Jenkins project at the same time. For example, Jenkins X has started as a Jenkins subproject and then it became independent project under the umbrella of the CDF. If I understand correctly, the same approach might be applied to the Jenkins Operator project.

Best regards,
Oleg

Bartłomiej Antoniak

Mar 4, 2021, 2:48:05 AM3/4/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oleg,

Thank you for your response. Indeed the project is already part of the jenkinsci org for some time, I'm glad we finally have a chance to formalize it :)

Correct, we'd like do it in the same way as Jenkins X and other projects. The Jenkins Operator will be listed as separate project in CDF portfolio.

Regards,
Bartek

Email correspondence is considered personal data processing. Check out our Privacy Policy for details about the controller of your data and your rights according to GDPR/RODO.

Bartłomiej Antoniak

Mar 23, 2021, 10:52:55 AM3/23/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I just wanted to thank you all for letting us being part of the community and finally formalised Jenkins Operator place as sub-project https://www.jenkins.io/projects/#jenkins-operator-for-kubernetes
We are happy to be more active in this space and align with overall Jenkins roadmap. Also, I'll do my best to join SIG meetings from time to time.

Regards,
Bartek

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 23, 2021, 3:12:10 PM3/23/21
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for the jenkins.io update!
And let's keep working on the alignment, there are many opportunities.