GitHub Actions in jenkins-infra

Rick

Oct 2, 2019, 8:40:35 PM10/2/19
to Developers Jenkins
Hi team,

GitHub Actions is good. I want to try to use it in my repo https://github.com/jenkins-infra/wechat/. But GitHub Actions only support to enable it from the org level. So if you think that is ok, then please help me to accomplish this. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rick

Gavin

Oct 2, 2019, 11:22:40 PM10/2/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
So I'm going to be the bad guy and ask why you need GitHub actions when there's Jenkins. What steps are you needing done?

Rick

Oct 3, 2019, 12:18:28 AM10/3/19
to Developers Jenkins
Good question. I don't have the permission of infra Jenkins. It's not easy if I want to reuse https://ci.jenkins.io. Plus, I need to consider more things if I want to install a new plugin. For example, security problems and so on.

Gavin

Oct 3, 2019, 12:28:27 AM10/3/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
But what are you wanting to do? Simple Cron job that runs a script? Script every commit?

Or just want access just in case?

Rick

Oct 3, 2019, 1:40:21 AM10/3/19
to Developers Jenkins
Yes, I'm not sure what I want to do in the future. For example, if I don't have the write permissions, I even cannot add a credential for my script. And I know the infra Jenkins is very very important, I don't hope that I mess up it.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 3, 2019, 4:45:57 AM10/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
GitHub Actions is pretty useful for organization automation, e.g. when you want to run Dependabot, Release Drafter or other bot with some custom configurations.
I do not see how ci.jenkins.io could be used as a replacement for it taking the permission considerations. And I doubt it worth investing in making such use-cases supported on ci,jenkins.io

But this is the only use-case I have in mind ATM.

On Wed., Oct. 2, 2019, 5:40 p.m. Rick, <linux...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi team,

GitHub Actions is good. I want to try to use it in my repo https://github.com/jenkins-infra/wechat/. But GitHub Actions only support to enable it from the org level. So if you think that is ok, then please help me to accomplish this. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rick

Olblak

Oct 3, 2019, 6:18:34 AM10/3/19
to 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers
While I understand the value of Github Actions, I would not enable it on jenkins-infra unless we have a good reason to do so.
I understand that ci.jenkins.io has limitations for various reasons and if we have them other people will face the same issues.
But using ci.jenkins.io is really useful to find, document and fix those issues, so by default I would stick to it
And depending on your need we may explore other options (or not) as we already did in the past.

---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

Marky Jackson

Oct 3, 2019, 11:18:16 AM10/3/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I wanted to also add that I do not feel using github actions will bring us any value.

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

Joseph P

Oct 4, 2019, 8:54:43 AM10/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
So right now Olbak the ACI agents are failing creating large queue.

ci.jenkins.io must be stable if you want us to continue using it.

Victor Martinez

Oct 4, 2019, 10:53:24 AM10/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
I've seen some repos already using GitHub actions, Travis and some others tools, which from a collaborator point of view doesn't look easy to follow up what GitHub checks are valuable.

I'd prefer to avoid using GitHub actions as much as possible for the benefit of a more stable ci.jenkins.io and encourage people to use it as much as possible though.

Joseph P

Oct 4, 2019, 2:18:35 PM10/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
I prefer the freedom, why restrict as long as it benefits the project and does not create any hindrance?

The reason for configuration-as-code to have both GitHub actions, Travis and ci.jenkins.io because we have experienced issues with both ci.jenkins.io and travis, so useful to being able to rely on more than one system.

Victor Martinez

Oct 4, 2019, 3:07:43 PM10/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
I do understand the value for using other CI/CD systems. My only concerns are when there are different GitHub checks and some of them are green and some others are red. That particular lack of reliability might imply more steps to troubleshoot to debug logs in different systems. I like the idea of dog-fooding even though when it does imply suffering some issues that other CI/CD systems might not have.

As a consequence of decoupling this from the ci.jenkins.io then it could be more difficult to solve those issues in the ci.jenkins.io. That's something quite valuable no just for us as users but also for other users of the Jenkins project.

I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread, if it has not been discussed recently,  provide more feedback and gather other's point of view.

Cheers

Olblak

Oct 7, 2019, 11:29:00 AM10/7/19
to 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers
So right now Olbak the ACI agents are failing creating large queue.

ci.jenkins.io must be stable if you want us to continue using it.

What I tried to say in my previous answer was, if the issue is ci.jenkins.io then first let try to fix it.
And if there is a another use case then let's discuss it.
Regarding ci.j.io I'll probably start a document to collect feedback in the coming days

---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

Joseph P

Oct 8, 2019, 6:06:11 PM10/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
Here is one PR for feedback: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/pipeline-library/pull/117/files

Been waiting an hour for deploy stage to get green build on GitHub.

So ci.jenkins.io is blocking 😭
I have considered removing the Jenkinsfile on some repos and just use GitHub or Travis and forget incremental exist😰

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Victor Martinez wrote:
I do understand the value for using other CI/CD systems. My only concerns are when there are different GitHub checks and some of them are green and some others are red. That particular lack of reliability might imply more steps to troubleshoot to debug logs in different systems. I like the idea of dog-fooding even though when it does imply suffering some issues that other CI/CD systems might not have.

As a consequence of decoupling this from the ci.jenkins.io then it could be more difficult to solve those issues in the ci.jenkins.io. That's something quite valuable no just for us as users but also for other users of the Jenkins project.

I'd be happy to discuss this in another thread, if it has not been discussed recently,  provide more feedback and gather other's point of view.

Cheers

Rick

Oct 8, 2019, 8:22:46 PM10/8/19
to Developers Jenkins
My original idea is that provides an alternative choice instead of replacing it. So, in my opinion, we can enable the GitHub actions if it's not harmful.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/3c289e1b-0919-4eb5-8f83-f0bb0ac580a5%40googlegroups.com.

Daniel Beck

Oct 9, 2019, 3:52:05 PM10/9/19
to Jenkins Developers

> On 9. Oct 2019, at 00:06, Joseph P <jose...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have considered removing the Jenkinsfile on some repos and just use GitHub or Travis and forget incremental exist😰

I understand the frustration, and share some of it. Wasting time looking at thread dumps while my core PRs aren't getting built isn't fun. But while this might make sense from an individual contributor perspective, as Jenkins project we should generally strive to do as much of our CI with Jenkins as possible.

In fact, I would consider ci.jenkins.io (and perhaps its private counterparts) the only components of our infra we need to continue running ourselves. Because it's (mostly) yummy dog food -- and if we cannot manage to run Jenkins, why would we expect anyone else to?