Translation management plugin

Marek Be

Feb 19, 2017, 10:02:01 AM2/19/17
to Jenkins Developers
I am thinking of creating a new Jenkins plugin that will make application localization easier for people of developer and business roles in the project. The goal I want to achieve is create a single page where all translations from the message bundle files found in the codebase are displayed as editable entities in a convenient way. Any updates could be previewed instantly in some preconfigured, dedicated server instance. The plugin would be integrated with popular SCM tools.
Do you know if anything similar already exists?
Do you think Jenkins plugin API will allow me to achieve aforementioned functionalities?

Thanks!

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 19, 2017, 2:52:42 PM2/19/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

Yes, Jenkins plugin API allows doing it though I do not see much benefit from doing it inside Jenkins.

Some pointers if you want to do it:
Those tools are designed for the localization of Jenkins itself, so maybe they are not that helpful.

BR, Oleg

Patrick Huang

Feb 20, 2017, 8:07:16 PM2/20/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, take a look at http://zanata.org/ (Opensource translation management platform used by Fedora, Openstack community and Red Hat internally)

We are developing a Jenkins plugin https://github.com/jenkinsci/zanata-plugin right now (Please wait until pull request 3 is merged or just use that branch to build it locally). It can integrate with a Zanata server and SCM. Not yet released but it's getting there. Hope this helps.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 21, 2017, 7:04:33 AM2/21/17
to Jenkins Developers
Yep, it seems to be an exact match to the use-case. I wonder if we could use Zanata within Jenkins project, but I'd guess we cannot dedicate much time to this area right now. Unlikely it's applicable OOTB to our current engine.

Marek Be

Feb 28, 2017, 5:27:26 AM2/28/17
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks! This is what I was thinking of.