Proposal: Jenkins baseline selection

Ullrich Hafner

Aug 12, 2020, 1:13:56 PM8/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
In our developer documentation we currently have a very vague description on how to select the Jenkins baseline: https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer/plugin-development/choosing-jenkins-baseline/

Recently a lot of my builds failed (my baseline was 2.204.4) because some frequently used base plugins updated their minimum Jenkins version to a higher LTS minor version (like 2.222.1) or a higher patch version (2.204.6).

So I thought it would make sense to make the baseline selection more concrete:
https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3630

Note that it still might sense to use newer versions when a plugin requires some modern core features. So this section should provide a suggestion only for those plugins that actually have no strict Jenkins core dependency.

What do you think? Does it make sense?

Gavin Mogan

Aug 12, 2020, 2:03:30 PM8/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
Mark often replies with a string like that, so i like it being on jenkins.io +1 from me

Mark Waite

Aug 12, 2020, 2:27:03 PM8/12/20
to jenkinsci-dev
+1 from me.  I like the recommendations very much.

Daniel Beck

Aug 13, 2020, 1:58:44 AM8/13/20
to Jenkins Developers

> On 12. Aug 2020, at 19:13, Ullrich Hafner <ullrich...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Recently a lot of my builds failed (my baseline was 2.204.4) because some frequently used base plugins updated their minimum Jenkins version to a higher LTS minor version (like 2.222.1) or a higher patch version (2.204.6).

I'm interested in understanding exactly what you're doing -- update sites since May should offer exactly the versions of plugins compatible with your chose core version unless it's older than a year.

Ullrich Hafner

Aug 13, 2020, 5:24:28 AM8/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
The build does not break because a version is not available, it breaks because of insufficient version constraints:
- maven-enforcer complains
- integration tests do not start a plugin because they require a newer core version
- ATH does not install plugins because they require a newer core version