Missing permission for the github repository

Damian Szczepanik

Jan 29, 2019, 5:01:24 AM1/29/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

As the owner of different plugins I observe that for some of them I
have different permissions then for another one:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/sidebar-link-plugin

https://github.com/jenkinsci/build-name-setter-plugin

So as you see for second project I have access to Settings tab and also there is Issues tab enabled. From my perspective it is much more popular to use github for issues and feature requests and Jenkins JIRA.

Can I be granted to see Settings panel for the first plugin like it happens for the second one?

Damian

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 13, 2019, 6:57:27 AM2/13/19
to Jenkins Developers
As discussed with Damian in private, I do not support using GitHub issues for Jenkins plugins. OTOH there is no strict requirement for that in the Jenkins project. As a new maintainer he is fully eligible to request it, so my -1 should not block it.

BR, Oleg

Daniel Beck

Feb 13, 2019, 7:25:59 AM2/13/19
to Jenkins Developers
Changed the team into an admin team. Sorry about the delay, I see you tried to contact me through a few channels I missed.

Please note that even if you decide to track issues in GitHub, you should still review and migrate what gets reported in Jira. Ignoring issues filed there would be hostile to users who are used to using that system.

> On 29. Jan 2019, at 11:01, Damian Szczepanik <damian.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As the owner of different plugins I observe that for some of them I
> have different permissions then for another one:
>
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/sidebar-link-plugin
> <int_1.jpg>
>
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/build-name-setter-plugin
> <int_2.jpg>
>
> So as you see for second project I have access to Settings tab and also there is Issues tab enabled. From my perspective it is much more popular to use github for issues and feature requests and Jenkins JIRA.
>
> Can I be granted to see Settings panel for the first plugin like it happens for the second one?
>
> Damian

damian.pu...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2019, 9:44:43 AM2/13/19
to Jenkins Developers
As I understand that from your perspective it's better to control issues on JIRA than Github but based on my experience users report issues much faster and more often via Github. I'm going to monitor what is going on on JIRA as I understand adopting also means be default assignee for JIRA component which is fine.

Second fact which I have noticed recently is that without having proper permission I was not able to integrate Travis CI with Github because Travis checks if I have permission to the project. Following toggle was not present for the one plugin but was for the second:

travis.png

@Daniel - thanks, now looks good to me!

Damian

Gavin Mogan

Feb 13, 2019, 6:57:17 PM2/13/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to do on travis that you can't do with public jenkins install?

Ullrich Hafner

Feb 14, 2019, 5:26:59 AM2/14/19
to Jenkins Developers
I’m also using travis for my plugin builds (additionally to ci.jenkins.io) :-)

It is much faster and sends mails if there are some failures. Also there is an out of box integration of some external tools (codacy, codecov, etc.).

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:44 AM <damian.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
As I understand that from your perspective it's better to control issues on JIRA than Github but based on my experience users report issues much faster and more often via Github. I'm going to monitor what is going on on JIRA as I understand adopting also means be default assignee for JIRA component which is fine.

Second fact which I have noticed recently is that without having proper permission I was not able to integrate Travis CI with Github because Travis checks if I have permission to the project. Following toggle was not present for the one plugin but was for the second:

<travis.png>

@Daniel - thanks, now looks good to me!

Damian

signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 2, 2019, 10:52:30 AM10/2/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all,

Just to follow-up on this thread, I dismiss my opposition w.r.t using GitHub issues in Jenkins plugin repos. There are the following reasons:
  • GitHub now allows deleting issues, so the concern w.r.t misreported security issues is now addressed
  • GitHub now supports the "Transfer Issue" functionality which allows to move issues between repositories if they are not reported correctly
  • GitHub now supports cross-repository projects within the organization. We actually use it in  https://jenkins.io/projects/jcasc/dev-tools/, and it is quite handy
Since the GitHub issues are really comfortable for contributors, I am +1 for supporting GitHub issues as a first-class citizen in Jenkins tooling.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/EAAA736C-55E5-4DC9-855B-01AC21D9E689%40gmail.com.