Accessing workspace after job is complete

Tal Yanai

Nov 10, 2020, 1:52:48 PM11/10/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

Suppose the Java plugin I'm writing is producing a report file.  Within its node (slave) I will use filePath.child(fileOnDiskPath) to persist that report into that node workspace.

What happened now when I want to reference that report once the build is over?  How do I gain access to that node's location now that the job is over?

If I do run.getExecutor().getCurrentWorkspace() for getting the FilePath, I'm getting NullPointerException Obviously as nothing is running.

Is something wrong in this methodology?

Thanks,

Tal.

Ullrich Hafner

Nov 10, 2020, 2:35:28 PM11/10/20
to Jenkins Developers
Am 10.11.2020 um 19:52 schrieb Tal Yanai <t...@yanai.org.il>:

Hi,

Suppose the Java plugin I'm writing is producing a report file.  Within its node (slave) I will use filePath.child(fileOnDiskPath) to persist that report into that node workspace.

What happened now when I want to reference that report once the build is over?

From where do you want to access the file? UI, file system, web service?

How do I gain access to that node's location now that the job is over?

This is not possible, the node may be already destroyed or cleaned.

If I do run.getExecutor().getCurrentWorkspace() for getting the FilePath, I'm getting NullPointerException Obviously as nothing is running.

Is something wrong in this methodology?

Yes, your planned approach will never work. You need to register a new https://javadoc.jenkins-ci.org/hudson/model/Action.html that will be attached to the build. This action can serialize all information you need for retrieval and is visible in the UI. Or simply copy the file to the master build folder.

Thanks,

Tal.

Tal Yanai

Nov 10, 2020, 2:56:22 PM11/10/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,

Coping it from the node into the master will be the best approach.

How do I achieve that (copying) if the node and master don’t share NFS?

Thanks,

Tal.

Thanks, Tal.

Jesse Glick

Nov 10, 2020, 2:58:09 PM11/10/20
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 2:56 PM Tal Yanai <t...@yanai.org.il> wrote:
> How do I achieve that (copying) if the node and master don’t share NFS?

Check Javadoc of `FilePath`. Numerous plugins defining `Publisher`s do this.