Rechecking Pull Requests

Richard Bywater

Oct 4, 2019, 9:45:04 PM10/4/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi

One of my pull requests failed on ci.jenkins.io due to what looks like an infrastructure issue ( https://ci.jenkins.io/job/Plugins/job/htmlpublisher-plugin/view/change-requests/job/PR-48/3/console )

Is there a way of getting it to re-run the build job on the PR as I don't seem to have access to "Build Now" on the Jenkins infrastructure and Github doesn't seem to have a "recheck" option either.

Ideally I'd really love to not have to create a dummy commit to do it as that doesn't really seem like a very good way of getting around the issue of jobs that fail due to infrastructure issues.

Thanks
Richard.

Mark Waite

Oct 4, 2019, 9:56:24 PM10/4/19
to jenkinsci-dev
The simplest technique for me has been to use `git commit --amend` on the most recent commit, then force push that change to the repository.  There is almost always something that I can improve about the last commit in a pull request.

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Gavin

Oct 4, 2019, 10:28:48 PM10/4/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
A lot of people is close the pr. Then wait like 30 seconds. And reopen it.

Mez Pahlan

Oct 5, 2019, 3:40:49 AM10/5/19
to Jenkins Developers
I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to do this. You can't select Build Now from the Jenkins Infra CI build site (probably to protect against spam usage which is fair enough) and nor do you have this on Github. So you need to create a new "event" in the PR as described above.

Whilst it is really frustrating that the build has failed due to no fault of your own and that this causes a big red cross to appear, it was explained to me that these builds are meaningless and don't actually block your PR. You can ignore the result of the CI build and merge if you feel it is safe.

What I would like, given this, is for Jenkins Infra CI builds to send back not a build failure but something like build unstable if that is possible and detect when a build failure is caused by a bad PR or by bad infrastructure. If a human can read the logs and determine this then surely it is possible to do automatically. Maybe that would be a happy middle ground between (what seems to be to me) 90% successful infrastructure builds and 10% failures unrelated to your PR. What I would do instead is run mvn clean install locally and confirm the build. And maybe a message to that effect would be good too.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 7:45 PM Richard Bywater <ric...@bywater.nz> wrote:
Hi

One of my pull requests failed on ci.jenkins.io due to what looks like an infrastructure issue ( https://ci.jenkins.io/job/Plugins/job/htmlpublisher-plugin/view/change-requests/job/PR-48/3/console )

Is there a way of getting it to re-run the build job on the PR as I don't seem to have access to "Build Now" on the Jenkins infrastructure and Github doesn't seem to have a "recheck" option either.

Ideally I'd really love to not have to create a dummy commit to do it as that doesn't really seem like a very good way of getting around the issue of jobs that fail due to infrastructure issues.

Thanks
Richard.

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 6, 2019, 2:51:47 AM10/6/19
to Jenkins Developers
Yes, no way to retrigger builds now excwpt reopening PRs unfortunately (unless you are a co.ienkins.io admin)

I want to add support of a "/jenkins rebuild" comment command to GitHub Branch Source to fix it

Parichay Barpanda

Oct 6, 2019, 2:59:43 AM10/6/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

For implementing the same feature for GitLab Branch Source Plugin, I took some inspiration from one of the existing plugin for GitHub Branch Source https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-pr-comment-build-plugin. Take a look at it, either decide to implement this feature in GitHub Branch Source or use this plugin. In case of implementation I can help, let me know.

Regards,
Parichay

Jesse Glick

Oct 6, 2019, 9:33:33 AM10/6/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 2:59 AM Parichay Barpanda
<parichay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-pr-comment-build-plugin. Take a look at it, either decide to implement this feature in GitHub Branch Source or use this plugin.

Have not tried it myself, but sounds useful; certainly more friendly
than the existing workarounds described by Mark and Gavin. Feel free
to file an `INFRA` ticket to install and configure this plugin on
ci.jenkins.io.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 6, 2019, 10:17:02 AM10/6/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
The plugin will not work as is for jobs in the GitHub org folder: https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-pr-comment-build-plugin/issues/1 . In the case of ci.jenkins.io, it means it will not work for plugins (but will work for the core and many other repos, and it is already great). A fix would be greatly appreciated.

I agree we should consider installing it and configuring for something like "/jenkins rebuild"