Running jenkins/jnlp-agent-* Docker images as non-root user

Damien Duportal

Jan 20, 2021, 12:10:45 PM1/20/21
to Jenkins Developers

Hello dear Developers, Contributors and (eventually) users!

The issue https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/INFRA-2879 is making a proposal for a breaking change in the library of Docker images ("jenkins/jnlp-agent-*") coming from the repository https://github.com/jenkinsci/jnlp-agents .

The rationale of this change (why running a container as non root) is not expected to be discussed in this thread (please use the JIRA issue), but:

1. "Should we do this change"? As it even questions the reasons why we provide and maintain this set of images. For instance "jenkins/jnlp-agent-alpine" would be totally deprecated.

2. And if yes, "what is the process to communicate and apply a breaking change?". Is there a standard procedure to go trough the mail/twitter/IRC/etc. channels? We were thinking of adding documentation (README of the repo + README of the images in the DockerHub + comments in the respective Dockerfiles) and writing a blog post. Is there something else?

As the documentation for these image is scarse, it is hard to evaluate the impact. If you have any knowledge on how it is being used (outside the Jenkins project's infra.), could you share it to help us?

Thanks in advance!

Damien DUPORTAL

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 21, 2021, 4:29:26 AM1/21/21