Stopping plugin hosting

Petr Chudanič

Feb 20, 2018, 7:27:31 AM2/20/18
to Jenkins Developers

Hi Everyone

I have a Jenkins plugin that is hosted in Jenkins Update Centre.

As we are considering to release new plugin with different name that would contain current plugin's functionality plus more we would like to remove it from Update Center.

I'd like to know what is the correct process to take it down (hide/remove it from update center) - if it is possible at all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Petr Chudanic

Daniel Beck

Feb 20, 2018, 7:47:02 AM2/20/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 20. Feb 2018, at 12:30, Petr Chudanič <chud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a Jenkins plugin that is hosted in Jenkins Update Centre.
>
> As we are considering to release new plugin with different name that would contain current plugin's functionality plus more we would like to remove it from Update Center.
>
> I'd like to know what is the correct process to take it down (hide/remove it from update center) - if it is possible at all.

https://github.com/jenkins-infra/backend-update-center2#removing-plugins-from-distribution

But note that existing users will not receive updates, and cannot automatically "upgrade" to the new plugin. And having both installed with probably result in a broken experience.

Antonio Muñiz

Feb 20, 2018, 8:00:39 AM2/20/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
But note that existing users will not receive updates, and cannot automatically "upgrade" to the new plugin

Making a tombstone release makes more difficult to get both plugins installed.

1. Release the new plugin
2. Remove all the code from the old plugin
3. Leave a minimal pom.xml, with a single dependency to the new plugin
4. Release the old plugin

So users will get an update for old-plugin which is basically removing it and automatically installing the new one.
Still, users could install the new plugin directly and get in troubles. I guess this can be solved by documentation and release notes in both plugins.

Antonio Muñiz
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

Jesse Glick

Feb 20, 2018, 9:35:50 AM2/20/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Antonio Muñiz <amu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
> Still, users could install the new plugin directly and get in troubles. I
> guess this can be solved by documentation and release notes in both plugins.

Or: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-49651

Petr Chudanič

Mar 12, 2018, 10:01:20 AM3/12/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks, seems interesting, we may end up going for this solution