[Blue Ocean] blueocean-plugin not installed default by Setup Wizard

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 19, 2019, 1:07:49 AM2/19/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I just noticed that in Jenkins LTS 2.150.3, the Setup Wizard does not
install Blue Ocean by default.  Is this intentional or did this slip through the cracks?

--
Craig

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 19, 2019, 1:48:19 AM2/19/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Craig,

The list of the recommended plugins has been decided in Jenkins 2.0 times when BlueOcean was not in 1.0. IIRC it has not been even started at that point.
Nobody has ever proposed a pull request to add BlueOcean to the recommended plugins, but there were some discussions at Jenkins Worlds IIRC.

If somebody wants to make BlueOcean a plugin installed by default, it might be a challenging task. BlueOcean includes dozens of dependencies on other plugins, and adding BlueOcean would significantly increase the testing scope for the project and the installation time.

Best regards,
Oleg

Jesse Glick

Feb 19, 2019, 12:15:08 PM2/19/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 1:48 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BlueOcean includes dozens of dependencies on other plugins

I would start by breaking some of the dependencies. Perhaps the
`blueocean` aggregator plugin can ultimately pull in the same things
but you should not, for example, be obliged to install `mercurial` if
you are using GitHub. Also I would like to see aggregator plugins like
`workflow-aggregator` and `blueocean` deprecated and these
dependencies just be inlined in the Setup Wizard somehow (UI TBD).

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 22, 2019, 12:44:41 AM2/22/19
to Jenkins Developers
Ah OK.  It makes sense that BlueOcean was not considered for inclusion in the setup wizard in Jenkins 2.0,
but that is nearly 3 years ago, and BlueOcean has gone through a lot of development and has matured.

Where is the source code for the Setup wizard?  I will investigate and submit a patch, which can
be reviewed/discussed.
--
Craig

Jesse Glick

Feb 22, 2019, 8:33:33 AM2/22/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 12:44 AM Craig Rodrigues <rod...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Where is the source code for the Setup wizard?

In core (`jenkinsci/jenkins/core/src/main/java/jenkins/install/SetupWizard.java`
and a bunch of JavaScript), including the default plugin configuration
in `core/src/main/resources/jenkins/install/platform-plugins.json`.