How to implement a plugin to allow to install it without restarting the master ?

Arnaud Héritier

Oct 9, 2019, 6:49:20 PM10/9/19
to Jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Pierre Beitz
Hi team,

  I'm looking for samples/pointers on how implementing a plugin to not have to restart the master when you install it for the 1st time.

  I have some difficulties to understand why I get different behaviors in my tests ( https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-59696 ) and I don't find a lot of resources on this topic.

  @Pierre Beitz figured out that Jenkins Extension have by default the dynamicLoadable attribute set to MAYBE but I don't see a lot of plugin redefining it to YES (and few are configured it to FALSE when they really need to do something at the startup time - not my usecase).

  We found some problems related to this like https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-28983 https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-52072 fixed by Stephen a year ago in the core but I'm using a more recent version in my tests and it shouldn't be impacted by such bug.

  Before testing more, I would like to understand the theoretical  behavior that Jenkins should follow.

Thanks

--
-----
Arnaud Héritier

James Nord

Oct 14, 2019, 2:43:25 PM10/14/19
to Jenkins Developers
Exactly as you said.

change  dynamicallyLoadable to YES :)

not many people do this as not many people care ;-(

But maybe will try and load the extension - you just get a warning after installing that you *may* need to restart (IIRC)

/James

On Wednesday, October 9, 2019 at 11:49:20 PM UTC+1, Arnaud Héritier wrote:
Hi team,

  I'm looking for samples/pointers on how implementing a plugin to not have to restart the master when you install it for the 1st time.

  I have some difficulties to understand why I get different behaviors in my tests ( https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-59696 ) and I don't find a lot of resources on this topic.

  ...@Pierre Beitz figured out that Jenkins Extension have by default the dynamicLoadable attribute set to MAYBE but I don't see a lot of plugin redefining it to YES (and few are configured it to FALSE when they really need to do something at the startup time - not my usecase).

James Nord

Oct 14, 2019, 2:48:06 PM10/14/19
to Jenkins Developers