Chinese Localization SIG

su suren

Aug 7, 2018, 7:28:40 AM8/7/18
to Jenkins Developers

Hi all,

DevOps became more and more popular in recent years. As we see, Jenkins already takes a very important position. And Jenkins has lots of users in all around the world. So, localization became more and more important. In China, many people want to use Jenkins as CI server. and also have many companies are developing their own plugins.

My folks and I already do this. Like Jenkins website, Jenkins Core, popular plugins. But, I wish we can do better. And I wish to let more people know this, so they can join us. So I have some proposals:

  • translation rules
  • regular meetings
  • JAM

If you are an owner of some plugins and want us to do some localization work for it, you can also let us know it.

If you have any comments/proposals regarding the proposed designs and implementations, please respond.

Best regards,

Zhao XiaoJie

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 7, 2018, 2:02:56 PM8/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

It would be really interesting. Not sure what is the current status of https://github.com/jenkins-infra/cn.jenkins.io , but it could be also within the SIG's scope.

Generally it would make sense to put all language-based communities on jenkins.io somewhere. E.g. we have a pretty big Russian-speaking community, and there are also others listed here: https://jenkins.io/mailing-lists/ . So we could update jenkins.io to have a listing of language-based communities with maybe landing pages on jenkins.io.

Best regards,
Oleg

Rick

Aug 7, 2018, 11:07:48 PM8/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
Yeah, this is why I want to have a SIG. We will have a regular meeting, discuss, and recording the process and planning.

I create a google mail group and a PR https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/1700

Rick

Aug 11, 2018, 11:10:45 AM8/11/18
to Jenkins Developers

xue...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2018, 7:45:12 AM8/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
I am using Jenkins for my works every day and searching the documentation from jenkins.io. I also use Kubernetes to handle some work, and it provides the multi-language version including Chinese, that is very nice. Found this topic and interested in this proposal, hope this proposal can be implemented quickly.

Liam Newman

Aug 15, 2018, 2:24:15 PM8/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
I realize I'm late to this discussion, but could we make this the "Localization SIG". Having this be for one language alone seems a bit too narrow.

Obviously, the core focus you'd like to work on is Chinese, but the work done there will likely overlap with Localization to other languages.

I'm open to discussion.

Thanks,
Liam Newman

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 15, 2018, 2:53:19 PM8/15/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
IMHO single-language SIGs are preferable. SIG is going to be coordinating the translation effort for Chinese, and I doubt the discussions will be relevant to other localization contributors (and vice versa). Obviously the discussions may be in Chinese if they are decoupled to a separate SIG. Which is good for the declared project scope.

I think that localization efforts should not be a "SIG" format at all (see the language-based community proposal in the top), but it is a separate topic. For now having a SIG is perfectly fine.

BR, Oleg

Rick

Aug 15, 2018, 10:32:43 PM8/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
If other languages contributors want to do a full localization work, such as Jenkins core, plugins, website and so on. We can consider building a 'Localization SIG'. But I don't get more feedback.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 16, 2018, 7:11:23 AM8/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
As a leader of Jenkins RU, I can say that a coordinated localization effort is unlikely to happen in our community. Localization is an uphill battle in Jenkins with the current tooling, and it does not bring in much value since the most of IT positions require candidates to be able to read documentation in English (and hence Web UIs). Although there are some cases where localization makes sense (e.g. Silver Bulletters LLC invested in full BlueOcean localization to Russian to address their customer's requirements), it is rather a niche case.

Why is it an uphill battle? Every contributor needs to create pull requests to components and then wait until it gets reviewed/merged. Sometimes it takes eons, and I'd guess Rick has more experience with that than anybody else in the community. And, until it gets merged, you get UI which contains a mix of English and localization. It looks bad even with Cyrillic&Latin combination, I'd guess Chinese&Latin is even worse. So on my instances I always install the Locale plugin and enforce en_US locale.

Localization is still a good added value, but we need collaboration/review tools to do that. Not the old&dead Translation Assistance plugin (server-side is turned off), but something external offered as a service. The main requirement would be to let users just propose changes on the pages and then somehow automatically create pull requests to core/plugins once the change is approved by a localization reviewer.

We had a discussion about such tooling at the previous Jenkins World contributor summit. If somebody is interested to research the area and propose a solution, it would be a great justification for a centralized Localization SIG (working on improving processes).

Best regards,
Oleg

Jesse Glick

Aug 16, 2018, 8:18:57 AM8/16/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:11 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every contributor needs to create pull requests to components and then wait until it gets reviewed/merged.

The NetBeans project wound up moving all localizations to a separate
repository¹ with a dedicated set of maintainers, so that the main code
repository contained only base (~ US English) messages. This was
possible because the NetBeans module system permitted localizations of
modules (~ plugins) to be delivered as physically independent
fragments from an update site, though in practice the product was
normally delivered as a single installer with all supported modules
and translations.

I would suggest Jenkins do something similar. This would be easier for
code developers—no need to use tools like move-l10n.groovy² and review
PR diffs containing tons of rearranged messages after a refactoring,
no need to merge & release localization PRs they cannot actually
review anyway other than to verify that only the stated language was
touched. I suspect it would be much less hassle for localizers as
well, since there would be a small group of localizers who recognize
and trust one another’s contributions, one repository to work with and
scan for precedent when translating a given term, and a release cycle
as fast or slow as they want with no need to pester anyone else.

Jenkins would need to somehow allow users to download/apply a given
localization for core and all covered plugins in a format TBD, or
these could simply be included in the standard jenkins.io download.
You need a little tooling to compare a localization against a snapshot
of the base product looking for both untranslated messages and stale
translations, but I suppose translators already need something very
similar.

¹ https://hg.netbeans.org/releases/l10n/file/tip/src/zh_CN
² https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/blob/46d79c337d1773776d167858e6b6c72574d28912/core/move-l10n.groovy

Chris Yang

Aug 16, 2018, 9:05:26 AM8/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
Really good idea.
I am  CO-ORGANIZER of the first JAM(Shenzhen JAM) in China . The first JAM event was very popular and welcome in Shenzhen city, China. And also I translated some docs on jenkins.io . I support to keep these works more regular and professional .

Rick

Aug 16, 2018, 9:20:10 AM8/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
Welcome to join us, we will discuss all things about localization, like progress, and other things mentioned above.
Maybe you need to join google group, make sure you can receive notifications.

Thanks.