[GSoC 2018] - Preliminary announcement

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 15, 2017, 9:31:54 AM12/15/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

I am preparing to the launch of Google Summer of Code 2018 in the Jenkins project. As in 2016/2017, we will be looking for mentors. It is critical to have a diverse number of proposal so that the Jenkins Project could get accepted this year, so I want to start it early this year.

GSoC is a pretty big deal for mentors (several hours per week), but it is possible to get a full-time student working on your project for almost 4 months. Mentorship does not require deep knowledge of Jenkins development itself, because there will be advisors around. So any contributor can participate if he has interest in it and opportunity to dedicate enough time.

Would somebody be interested to be a mentor? If yes, just respond to this thread.

-----

Useful links:
More documentation will be published this month if there is an interest in the community.

Best regards,
Oleg

martinda

Dec 16, 2017, 11:50:19 AM12/16/17
to Jenkins Developers
I would like to renew this experience. You can count me in as a mentor.

Where should we propose and discuss project ideas? I suggest a page on the Wiki like GSoC 2016 project idea examples.
I have a few ideas already:
  • Improvements to workspace data retention feature (aka automatic workspace clean up)
    • Erase  builds older than X days of builds but always keep the last Y builds regardless of how old the builds are
    • Erase the external workspaces in accordance with the workspace retention policy
  • Summary Report plugin workflow compatibility
  • Speed improvements to the ATH (like use a dockerized jenkins instead of restarting jenkins for every test, but I am sure there are many ideas here)
Martin

Ewelina Wilkosz

Dec 18, 2017, 3:18:13 AM12/18/17
to Jenkins Developers
Count me in, for Jenkins Configuration as Code

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 19, 2017, 6:02:42 AM12/19/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I suggest discussing the ideas in a Google Doc.
Wiki is fine, but it is complicated to handle the feedback there.
I have started https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2p_XZEdbkcVDMpEPTtjPS15i2Oq3CQgH_geJjPhofY/edit?usp=sharing for now, so please feel free to propose your project ideas there.

Once the ideas are finalized, I will be moving them to the jenkins.io website.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 3, 2018, 6:26:20 PM1/3/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

So we already have a set of project ideas, but we have only 3 potential mentors who stepped forward. IMHO it is not enough to be accepted to GSoC, so in the current state we will unlikely apply.

We will review the ideas status at the next Governance meeting on Jan 17 and decide whether it makes sense to apply (application deadline is Jan 23). If somebody is interested to be a mentor, please do not hesitate to respond to this thread or reach out to me privately if needed.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 4, 2018, 7:26:52 PM1/4/18
to Jenkins Developers
Initial Jenkins website update, project ideas page and the blog post are ready for review:
https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/1310

BR, Oleg

Anubha Maneshwar

Jan 4, 2018, 11:34:00 PM1/4/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey!

I would like to become a mentor. Should I share my ideas on that google document?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Anubha

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 5, 2018, 5:30:59 AM1/5/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Anubha,

Yes, just put them to the Google doc!

I have also added the "Mentor self-introduction" section to the document so that mentors can share some information about them. It may be especially useful for potential mentors coming from other organizations/communities.

Best regards,
Oleg

Krishna Gundala

Jan 5, 2018, 6:17:16 AM1/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Oleg,

Added my IDea  and introduction to the sheet.
Please review it and letme know if any suggetions.

Mohan G

thorste...@taimos.de

Jan 6, 2018, 2:13:31 PM1/6/18
to Jenkins Developers
I would be happy to help as a mentor on this project idea.

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 7, 2018, 5:35:56 PM1/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
Great! I will update both project ideas on the website by Tuesday EoD.
@Krishna, have you already reviewed the existing Jenkins Test Frameworks (e.g. Acceptance Test Harness). I think it could be a good start for your project idea regarding UI testing automation.

Krishna Gundala

Jan 7, 2018, 6:41:34 PM1/7/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Started working on it.
Will update you when I am done.

Willy Aguirre

Jan 14, 2018, 10:04:26 PM1/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

I would like to be a mentor. I have experiencie with Jenkins and also I participated as student in GSoC 2015 for Apache Software Foundation.

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 15, 2018, 4:34:51 AM1/15/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Willy,

Just add information about you and your project ideas to: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2p_XZEdbkcVDMpEPTtjPS15i2Oq3CQgH_geJjPhofY/edit

Best regards,
Oleg

Peter Yarama Ndirpaya

Jan 18, 2018, 11:48:58 AM1/18/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

i would love to be a mentor.

cheers

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 22, 2018, 12:57:08 PM1/22/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just an update.
At the Governance Meeting on Jan 17 we decided to apply to GSoC this year.

Whomever is interested in participating as mentor, please add self-introductions and project ideas in this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kJ2Iax-GBfCCizRNeIIsxQT5wbHMHZPwJ_sHAvP2vo0/edit .

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 22, 2018, 1:06:46 PM1/22/18
to JenkinsCI Developers

Willy Aguirre

Jan 24, 2018, 12:20:16 AM1/24/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg!
what happend If I don't an idea for GSoC =/ could I mentor with someone? or there are list of possible ideas I could take?

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 24, 2018, 12:25:30 AM1/24/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Willy,

Sure, it is possible. The list is here.
You could just add your name to the projects you would be interested in.

BR, Oleg

Willy Aguirre

Jan 29, 2018, 10:53:53 PM1/29/18
to Jenkins Developers
awesome!

I added my name for those ideas

Remoting - Message Bus/Queue - powered implementation

Simple Pull-Request Plugin

martinda

Feb 6, 2018, 5:02:18 PM2/6/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg and everyone,

I have added a new plugin proposal to the list of 2018 GSoC proposals.

The proposal is to create a Discard Builds Step Plugin, which would give users great flexibility in managing their build histories.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Martin

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 12, 2018, 12:12:01 PM2/12/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

FYI we have been accepted to GSoC 2018.
Soon everybody interested will be added as mentor to the Jenkins organization

Thanks again to everybody who created project proposals!
We are still ready to accept more project ideas, so feel free to create new ones

BR, Oleg

Kavya gy

Feb 13, 2018, 6:53:01 AM2/13/18
to Jenkins Developers

Hey, i would like to be a part of Jenkins Devlopers as a mentor for GSOC 2018
for already existing projects.
Do consider me and let me know the future process

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 13, 2018, 7:48:39 AM2/13/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello Kavya,

You are more than welcome to join the mentors team.
Please add a short self-introduction to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q2p_XZEdbkcVDMpEPTtjPS15i2Oq3CQgH_geJjPhofY/edit#heading=h.56lpb2edjhz0 so that we know about your background and interests.

Best regards,
Oleg

martinda

Feb 19, 2018, 10:39:45 AM2/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

I would like to announce another project for students has been proposed for GSoC, the Discard Builds Step Plugin. It is a plugin that would makes it easy for users to implement their own data retention policy for build history, artifacts and workspaces (internal and external) by making build discard a simple pipeline build step.

This project is also in need of a second mentor, so if you are interested in mentoring do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Martin

Message has been deleted

vidhi jindal

Apr 12, 2018, 3:09:09 AM4/12/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I want to be a mentor. I cannot access this link. Is there any new link?

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 16, 2018, 5:55:48 AM4/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Vidhi,

Sorry for the response delay. I see you were able to update the document.

It is a bit late for joining the mentor team, we are at the student selection phase. And the most of the mentor teams are already formed. OTOH, we still welcome people to join as experts and mentors if they are interested an existing project and can contribute to it with their expertise.

Could you please update the document to reflect your Jenkins experience and clarify which project ideas you would like to work on as a mentor?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg