Time to revive the Cloud Native SIG?

Oleg Nenashev

May 14, 2020, 5:39:51 PM5/14/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG

Hi all,

The Jenkins Cloud Native special interest group has been dormant for about a year since the offline meeting at Kubecon 2019 in Barcelona. There is a lot of interest from the users about running Jenkins in cloud environments and, specifically, in Kubernetes. We have recently started a series of "Jenkins in Kubernetes" online meetups, and we got positive feedback and many follow-ups there. It would be great if we could recover the SIG.

Previously the SIG was mostly focused on the deep Jenkins architecture changes, including pluggable storage and architecture changes towards stateless Jenkins. This is definitely a valiant goal which should be worked on, but for the SIG it was a challenge to consolidate a critical mass of contributors to push such deep surgery changes forward. I hope that we will eventually get there, but the SIG format did not work well.

I would suggest to change the scope of the SIG and to refocus it on use-cases for Jenkins end users and administrators:

  • Integrations with Kubernetes and other projects from the CNCF landscape

  • Managing Jenkins in Kubernetes: Helm charts, Jenkins operator, monitoring with Prometheus, etc.

  • Jenkins on Cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc): Provisioning of agents, cloud storage, and other common use-cases

  • Jenkins FaaS Capabilities: Jenkinsfile Runner and similar engines

  • Integrations with cloud native CI/CD engines like Tekton and Jenkins X

Immediate projects the SIG would focus on: Kubernetes plugin ecosystem, Jenkins Kubernetes Operator (JEP-219), Jenkinsfile Runner, External Fingerprint Storage (GSoC 2020 project), "Jenkins on Kubernetes" meetup follow-up discussions with speakers. We could add more projects if there are active initiatives there and put them on the Jenkins roadmap.

What do you think? I would appreciate any feedback and comments. If there are multiple contributors interested, I am ready to go ahead and get the SIG running again.

Thanks for your feedback,

Oleg

Marky Jackson

May 14, 2020, 6:06:22 PM5/14/20
to Oleg Nenashev, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG
I whole heartily support this and please count me in to do whatever is needed.

Vlad Silverman

May 14, 2020, 7:42:17 PM5/14/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG
I would be glad contributing to this as well

Sladyn Nunes

May 15, 2020, 1:01:43 AM5/15/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Cloud Native SIG
I agree , there are quite a few integration possibilities with CNCF projects, and various other cloud focused initiatives could be undertaken. Count me in. +1

Sumit Sarin

May 15, 2020, 12:49:04 PM5/15/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg!
Tremendously excited for this. And after completion of work on the External Fingerprint Storage, looking forward to contribute to all the other exciting projects you mentioned! :)

Thanks and Regards,
Sumit

On May 14, 2020, at 2:39 PM, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Oleg Nenashev

May 16, 2020, 8:14:12 AM5/16/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

I started a Doodle for the initial meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/4p3ureaxuscvwgi7. It would be great to have the meeting next week so that we have initial discussion between volunteers about the next steps. After that we could setup regular SIG meetings in June.

I have also drafted a new meeting agenda doc, and added a few items for the discussion:
  • Cloud Native SIG 2.0 - Defining areas of interest (see the original message)
  • Founding projects.Some projects (Jenkins Kubernetes Operator, Jenkinsfile Runner) can be moved from the previous SIG edition, but we may want to revisit the scope
  • Jenkins Kubernetes Operator - Online meetup follow-ups && how could we help the project (features needed in upstream components, etc.)?
Please vote in Doodle and add your topics to the agenda!

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

May 18, 2020, 1:06:12 AM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks to all who voted! Based on the feedback, we will be doing this meeting tomorrow: Tuesday, May 19, 2PM UTC.
For those who cannot attend but would like to participate in the SIG, this meeting will be recorded. Later we will start a longer voting process to define the timeslots for regular SIG meetings.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

May 20, 2020, 9:43:40 AM5/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

We had a meeting yesterday, thanks to everyone who participated!
TL;DR: We are restarting the SIG, with the updated scope of interest suggested in the initial email.
Founding projects are yet to be finalized, but we start from at least Jenkins Operator for Kubernetes, Jenkinsfile Runner, External / Cloud Native Fingerprint Storage, Documentation for Kubernetes use-cases (joint project with Docs SIG), and a number of plugins targeting the CNCF ecosystem. We invite other projects to join!

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev