Request ownership/action for a plugin (klocwork)

Jacob Larfors

Nov 15, 2016, 6:58:38 AM11/15/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi guys,

Maybe someone can help me out, but a few weeks back I posted about commit access to the Klocwork plugin, following a pull request for a colleague, and neither have been answered... We really want to push some great features out there but our hands our tied :)

If anyone knows how who to contact to get some action or even to apply for a transferral of ownership for a plugin that would be great.

This is the plugin in question: https://github.com/cittools/klocwork-plugin

My github account: jlarfors

Thanks for the help!

Jacob

Daniel Beck

Nov 15, 2016, 7:46:39 AM11/15/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
We cannot grant access to repositories outside the jenkinsci GitHub organization. Which is one of the reasons why we strongly recommend that plugins be maintained in that organization.

We can only grant access to https://github.com/jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin and you'd need to sync the existing commits over. This however will not transfer existing issues and PRs in the cittools repo. IOW, it's a giant clusterfuck thanks to maintainers maintaining elsewhere.

I recommend you contact cittools and coordinate what to do with them. I can then transfer the repo as needed, and delete the one in jenkinsci that appears to have never been used.

Jacob Larfors

Nov 15, 2016, 7:59:06 AM11/15/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hi Daniel, appreciate the quick feedback and thanks for the info - that answered another question I had about why the jenkinsci repo even existed.

I would prefer to use the jenkinsci repo to avoid any future issues/bottlenecks. I have made one last attempt at contacting cittools because we tried contacting the owner of the repository for some time now (gboissinot) with no luck.

Should this not work, is there some way we can push our commits to the jenkinsci repository and make this the one linked in Jenkins (i.e. make the cittools repo redundant)? I assume that can be done without needing cittools, but I will await a response from them out of courtesy.

Thanks,
Jacob

Jacob Larfors

Nov 15, 2016, 8:13:29 AM11/15/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Ok I tried contacting the other maintainer/user at cittools and his email address for Thales does not work, so I suspect he has left Thales. As there has also been an outstanding pull request since July, and our attempts to contact the people at cittools has failed, I would assume this repository is no longer taken care of...

What options do we have? Can we make the jenkinsci repository the "main" one and we will get our commits there? There arent really any valid PRs/FRs in Jira, and the few that are we could look to transfer or fix, as we quite actively work on this plugin and have been shipping hpi files for the past few years to avoid this mess and bottleneck of waiting for cittools.

Thanks for the help.

Jacob

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 16, 2016, 10:11:58 AM11/16/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
Any revival of this plugin will be appreciated.

Unfortunately, we cannot just fork the repository and start releasing from it. It may be considered as a highjacking of the plugin. Plugin maintainers commonly do not sign Jenkins CLA, hence we have no formal permission to do so.

I think we should fork the plugin to jenkinsci and start preparing it to the release with patches (including stuff like CI, parent POM update, etc.). If the maintainer does not respond, likely the only valid option will be to rename plugin and to change packages to avoid data conflicts. But it will require much work to implement the proper migration code.

I've added Gregory Boissinot to Cc. Maybe he could suggest the proper contact.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 22, 2016, 11:44:02 AM11/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
In addition to this thread, I have tried to reach out Gregory directly without success. Since he has left his original company as well as his companion from citools org, it is a low chance we can proceed in the common way.

I had an f2f discussion with Jacob at Embedded Conference Scandinavia. We discussed the current state and agreed on the following:
  1. Oleg will grant him an access to the klocwork repository within the jenkinsci organization (an existing repo)
  2. Jacob will push the current changes in citools org and then proceed with preparing the release in pull requests (he can use jenkinsci/code-reviewers in order to get help with onboarding)
  3. Oleg will try to reach out Thales directly on behalf of the Jenkins core team (in order to propose the ownership handover)
  4. If we do not get a response from Thales, we will submit a topic to the Governance meeting with 2 options:
    • Fork of a plugin with renaming/package name changes
    • Just a takeover of the plugin by the Jenkins community (with temporary revokation of upload permissions for original maintainers to avoid mess if they come back and do not notice this thread)

WDYT?

Best regards,

Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 22, 2016, 12:05:20 PM11/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
I have added the the topic to the agenda of the tomorrow's governance meeting: https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Governance+Meeting+Agenda#GovernanceMeetingAgenda-Nov23meeting

Jacob, could you please provide your Jenkinsci account?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Baptiste Mathus

Nov 22, 2016, 3:39:57 PM11/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, Daniel Beck, Grégory Boissinot
I'm personally fine with that plan.

For step "4.1", as the plugin is MIT licensed, are we really required to do such non backward compatible change? It's a really good thing to try to reach out, don't get me wrong, totally for it, but it does not work out, then not that a big deal IMO.

I guess 4.2 will indeed be the most logical path (with no answer).

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/a63d2d26-f248-403a-8ba1-c32d3a02e16d%40googlegroups.com.

Jacob Larfors

Nov 23, 2016, 3:19:27 AM11/23/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
Many thanks for helping so much with this. The plan sounds good to me.

My Jenkinsci account is: jlarfors

Thanks again,
Jacob

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 26, 2016, 1:58:30 AM11/26/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
Hi Jacob,

On Wednesday we agreed with the proposed plan. Here is the meeting summary: http://meetings.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-meeting/2016/jenkins-meeting.2016-11-23-18.00.html

We agreed that I and Daniel will make the last attempt to reach out the original plugin maintainers with a final 2-week timeout. If we do not get a response, we will grant you the release permissions, no need in plugin renaming, etc.

I have granted you push permissions to https://github.com/jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin, hence you can start integrating changes there. I kindly recommend to consider using Pull requests and CCing jenkinsci/code-reviewers at the first steps (just to get some knowledge transfer). It is also recommended to update Jenkins core dependency to something newer and to use the new parent POM.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Jacob Larfors

Nov 28, 2016, 10:20:21 AM11/28/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, gregory....@gmail.com
Hi Oleg,

That's great - I saw the meeting summary so thanks for bringing this to light. I spoke with our plugin developer on Friday and we will get the plugin updated and ready for release whilst we wait for a reply from gboissinot and prepare a branch on the jenkinsci project ready for a pull request.

Hopefully see you at the CoDe Conf tomorrow so we can talk about this a bit more.

Safe travels with Lufthansa.

Best Regards,
Jacob

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 28, 2016, 11:35:36 AM11/28/16
to JenkinsCI Developers, Daniel Beck, Grégory Boissinot
Hi,

Just FYI, we have got a reply from Gregory in the separate thread. Now you have an authorization from the original maintainer, hence you can proceed with the release once you are ready.

See you tomorrow!

Best regards,
Oleg

Jacob Larfors

Nov 28, 2016, 11:44:31 AM11/28/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Beck, Grégory Boissinot
Hi Oleg,

Awesome, and thanks Daniel & Gregory.

See you tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Jacob

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLDf4anAg_a4XNCNtP1xNmMoUqvN5JEiNnCmpp7%2BbqUU_Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Daniel Beck

Nov 30, 2016, 2:03:00 PM11/30/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 28.11.2016, at 17:44, Jacob Larfors <ja...@larfors.com> wrote:
>
> Awesome, and thanks Daniel & Gregory.

We have control over the klocwork plugin. It currently resides in

https://github.com/jenkinsci-transfer/klocwork-plugin

I'll rename the existing repo and move this one into jenkinsci as soon as you acknowledge; as it'll be the same remote URL in Git and could cause confusion when I do this unexpectedly.

Jacob Larfors

Dec 1, 2016, 5:17:48 AM12/1/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Great, I acknowledge and sounds like a good idea - so please go ahead.

Thanks,
Jacob

Daniel Beck

Dec 1, 2016, 5:32:59 AM12/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 01.12.2016, at 11:17, Jacob Larfors <ja...@larfors.com> wrote:
>
> Great, I acknowledge and sounds like a good idea - so please go ahead.

Hmmm that didn't work…

"jenkinsci already has a repository in the jenkinsci-transfer/klocwork-plugin network"

It looks like I'll have to delete the repo we already have (now named klocwork-plugin-fork) first. It doesn't look like it contains anything that the original we're transferring doesn't, but can you please confirm?

Jacob Larfors

Dec 1, 2016, 5:34:33 AM12/1/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net

All good to delete the jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin-fork repo as it was never used.

Daniel Beck

Dec 1, 2016, 6:02:27 AM12/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 01.12.2016, at 11:34, Jacob Larfors <ja...@larfors.com> wrote:
>
> All good to delete the jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin-fork repo as it was never used.

Done, and transferred the one with issues and PRs:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin

Jacob Larfors

Dec 1, 2016, 6:13:24 AM12/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Awesome - looks good. Can I also have commit access to this one, or how do we plan to do this?

My plan was to create an update branch on this repo and then file a pull request to get this into master and include the Jenkins reviewers as Oleg suggested.

GitHub user: jlarfors

Sent from my iPhone

Daniel Beck

Dec 1, 2016, 6:19:20 AM12/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 01.12.2016, at 12:13, Jacob Larfors <ja...@larfors.com> wrote:
>
> Awesome - looks good. Can I also have commit access to this one, or how do we plan to do this?
>
> My plan was to create an update branch on this repo and then file a pull request to get this into master and include the Jenkins reviewers as Oleg suggested.
>
> GitHub user: jlarfors

Granted you commit access.

Plan sounds reasonable if it's supposed to be a branch that multiple people would work on (or if you're opposed to maintaining your own fork), but most probably develop in their own fork first and base PRs on that. It also won't confuse the JIRA bot as it thinks everything in the jenkinsci repos is on master, and even resolves issues based on that :-)

Jacob Larfors

Dec 1, 2016, 6:32:44 AM12/1/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for commit access and the information.

Nothing opposed to a fork so lets go with that route to simplify things. The people whom I will be sharing work with are colleagues so we can share a fork and keep things separate.

Really appreciate all the help.