Request to become maintainer of the statistics-gatherer-plugin

Luca Milanesio

Apr 9, 2018, 3:15:38 AM4/9/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
Hi all,
I have been trying to get in touch with the maintainer of the statistics-gatherer-plugin (https://github.com/maximecharron), however:

a) His e-mail is not public, not even to the members of the JenkinsCI org
b) He doesn't respond to mentions in GitHub

Does anybody have a pointer or address to reach him?

Should we not be able to get in touch with him anymore, and the plugin has been quite inactive for the past 12 months, can I ask the permission to maintain the plugin?

Thank you in advance.

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 9, 2018, 3:29:51 AM4/9/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, maxime.c...@ulaval.ca, Luca Milanesio
I may have found Maxime Charron e-mail from a Jira search

@Maxime are you still maintaining the statistics-gatherer-plugin? Do you need any help?

Luca.

Daniel Beck

Apr 9, 2018, 6:01:26 AM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers

> On 9. Apr 2018, at 09:15, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> a) His e-mail is not public, not even to the members of the JenkinsCI org
> b) He doesn't respond to mentions in GitHub
>
> Does anybody have a pointer or address to reach him?

For future reference, the way I typically do this:

Check https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater for authorized uploader user names.
If that list is empty (~ no release in 3+ years), check uploader user names of previous releases in Artifactory.

Then log in to Jira, https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name= and append the user name(s) you found.

In this case, the email address is the same.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 9, 2018, 6:07:45 AM4/9/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
Yep, that the one I found as well :-)
Let's see his feedback on the mailing list.

I found some activity in Jira a few months ago, hopefully he is still following the project !

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 10, 2018, 2:45:37 AM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
PIng ... any feedback from the current maintainer?

What is the wait time for getting this escalated and giving the possibility to fix bugs on the plugin?
Alternatively, should I just submit a brand-new plugin proposal? (which could cause confusion: people may not know which one is "active")

Thanks for the feedback.

Luca.

Daniel Beck

Apr 10, 2018, 3:00:20 AM4/10/18
to Jenkins Developers, Luca Milanesio

> On 10. Apr 2018, at 08:45, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What is the wait time for getting this escalated and giving the possibility to fix bugs on the plugin?
> Alternatively, should I just submit a brand-new plugin proposal? (which could cause confusion: people may not know which one is "active")

Two weeks is the typical waiting time after reaching out to maintainers directly.

Up to you whether you create a new plugin, but like you point out, "plugin overload" has in the past been a source for user confusion and irritation.

Message has been deleted

Luca Milanesio

Apr 10, 2018, 3:07:49 AM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
2 weeks sound good to me, and yes, I always avoid forks :-)

Luca.

> On 10 Apr 2018, at 08:02, Joseph P <jose...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Usually the wait period is 2 weeks :) I would not recommend creating another plugin.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 13, 2018, 5:37:37 AM4/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Joseph P, Luca Milanesio
PIng ... any news from the current Maintainers?
Are we set for end of next week to make a decision on this?

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 16, 2018, 6:41:19 AM4/16/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Joseph P, charron....@gmail.com, alex...@gmail.com, Luca Milanesio
Hi all,
the PR has been waiting for 13 days now (see https://github.com/jenkinsci/statistics-gatherer-plugin/pull/4) and still no news from the current maintainer :-(

Can we process my request this week? As discussed, I would rather avoid forking the plugin and create confusion. However, we need to get this done and get the SCM Info fixed.

Thank you in advance.
Luca.

lucamilanesio

Apr 17, 2018, 10:27:28 AM4/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
I have create the PR https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/670 to request permissions to upload new versions of the artifacts.
Is there a form or a similar process to add permissions to the GitHub repository?

It has been 14 days (2 weeks) that I tried to get in touch with the maintainer and got no answers from any e-mails, mentions or anything else :-(

Even the 2nd top contributor is not sure if the maintainer is looking at it or not.

Thank you for your help.

Luca.

On 10 Apr 2018, at 08:07, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

2 weeks sound good to me, and yes, I always avoid forks :-)

Luca.

On 10 Apr 2018, at 08:02, Joseph P <jose...@gmail.com> wrote:

Usually the wait period is 2 weeks :) I would not recommend creating another plugin.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 18, 2018, 5:05:34 AM4/18/18
to Jenkins Developers, Luca Milanesio, Daniel Beck
Any news on this request?

I would wait a couple of days more and if there is no movement, I'll have no choice but forking it :-(
I agree with Daniel, forking would create confusion.
However, having a plugin that extract statistics and is up-to-date with Jenkins 2.0 and Pipelines is definitely needed.

Let me know if you guys have other options :-)

As proposal for the forked plugin name:
"Events Collector"

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 18, 2018, 5:56:30 PM4/18/18
to Jenkins Developers, Luca Milanesio, Daniel Beck
Ping @Admins of the JenkinsCI org :-)

> On 18 Apr 2018, at 10:05, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Any news on this request?
>
> I would wait a couple of days more and if there is no movement, I'll have no choice but forking it :-(
> I agree with Daniel, forking would create confusion.
> However, having a plugin that extract statistics and is up-to-date with Jenkins 2.0 and Pipelines is definitely needed.
>
> Let me know if you guys have other options :-)
>
> As proposal for the forked plugin name:
> "Events Collector"

Thinking aloud, a *brand new* fork could make a lot of sense, because the collection of the events should be de-coupled from the implementation of its transports.
The current structure of this plugin, instead, has the transport hardcoded in it, which isn't good at all.

I added the support for LOGBack which is good, because allows to de-couple the appenders' transport by just configuring it in the logback.xml.

The *brand new* fork could then called:
"LOGBack Events Collector"

The "out-of-the-box" benefits would be huge on the varieties of transports available for LOGBack:
- storage to a DB
- ElasticSearch
- NATS
- Kafka
- pure Socket
- ...

What do you think?
Should I just start over?

Luca.

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2018, 3:55:34 AM4/19/18
to Jenkins Developers, Daniel Beck, o.v.ne...@gmail.com, Luca Milanesio
Hi Daniel, Oleg,
am I following the right process to get access to the statistics-gatherer plugin?
It is over two weeks that PRs for important bug-fixes are stuck.

I am really close to fork it, which could create confusion in people discovering it through the Plugin Manager in Jenkins.

Thanks for your feedback.

Luca.

Daniel Beck

Apr 19, 2018, 6:53:06 AM4/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 19. Apr 2018, at 09:55, Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> am I following the right process to get access to the statistics-gatherer plugin?
> It is over two weeks that PRs for important bug-fixes are stuck.
>
> I am really close to fork it, which could create confusion in people discovering it through the Plugin Manager in Jenkins.

Hi Luca,

You're on the right track here. We try to give maintainers adequate time to respond, taking into account potential vacations etc., before giving someone else access, to minimize the potential for conflict down the road.

Daniel

Luca Milanesio

Apr 19, 2018, 6:54:04 AM4/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
Sounds good, thanks for the feedback.

Luca

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 19, 2018, 5:48:31 PM4/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
+1. If there is no response, let's transfer ownership once the response timeout expires

Luca Milanesio

Apr 24, 2018, 3:33:38 AM4/24/18
to Jenkins Developers, Oleg Nenashev, Luca Milanesio
Any updates? The timeout ended yesterday and we got no further feedback from the current maintainer.

Thank you.

Luca.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 24, 2018, 4:15:19 AM4/24/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Luca,

Thanks for the ping! Access to the repo granted.
Regarding the release permissions, something is wrong in https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/670 . It refers another plugin you have created recently, but not Statistics gatherer.

BR, Oleg

Luca Milanesio

Apr 24, 2018, 4:19:33 AM4/24/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Luca Milanesio
Oh gosh, this is the messy GitHub PRs :-(

I had actually two requests in the pipeline but when you create two PRs in a chain ... GitHub messes them up.
Let me fix it manually and re-push.

Luca.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 24, 2018, 4:25:05 AM4/24/18
to JenkinsCI Developers, Luca Milanesio
Hi Luca,

Please also take a look at the Daniel's comment.
It really makes sense to ping the maintainer via another email before doing the release, just in case.

Seems I missed Daniel's comment and expedited the permission transfer a bit. My apologies for that.

My proposal would be to...
  • Ping the maintainer again using different email
  • Put on hold merges for now
Best regards,
Oleg

Luca.