Backporting for LTS 2.19.3 started

Oliver Gondža

Nov 3, 2016, 5:32:58 AM11/3/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 8, 2016, 8:10:51 AM11/8/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I went through the changelog and marked several issues, which may deserve backporting:

Important and safe ones (trivial fixes):
  • JENKINS-38487 - startup failure in the case of the valid behavior of the ComputerListener
    • Released in 2.29
  • JENKINS-27367 - Text no longer wrapped automatically in build step text boxes
    • Fixed in 2.26, but was not annotated properly
  • JENKINS-31871 - Handling of special symbols in checkURLs
    • Fixed in 2.26
    • Trivial, could cause side effects, nothing has been reported yet
  • JENKINS-38651 - Display transient actions for labels
    • Fixed in 2.25
  • JENKINS-36539 - OK button disabled if project type chosen first
    • Fixed in 2.23, missed 2.19.2 somehow
    • Annoying UX bug

Important ones (not trivial, need review):
  • JENKINS-39465 - Remoting enabled/disabled protocol settings
    • Released in 2.30
    • Would have a serious impact if we enable JNLP4 in the release, but it's still serious
  • JENKINS-35845 - Internalization support for Blue Ocean and JDL
    • Released in 2.27 (qualifies the merge criteria)
    • The change is internally backportable, but the issue is marked as a Story
    • IMHO missing internalization is rather a bug

May be valuable:
  • JENKINS-39454 - Race conditions due to the Queue behavior
    • Released in 2.29
    • Impacts Pipeline cases, but AFAIK there is a workaround in plugins
  • JENKINS-39363 - resource leak in hudson.XmlFile#readRaw() in the case of encoding issues
    • Released in 2.28
    • Trivial fix, but the case is unlikely a realistic one
  • JENKINS-37664 - Endless loop in LargeText.BufferSession.skip causing Pipeline hanging
    • Released in 2.28
    • Requires backporting of the fix to Stapler 1.245.1 => Maybe does not worth effort
  • JENKINS-38615 - Add user to restart log message for restart after plugin installation
    • Fixed in 2.25
    • Improvement, not a bug
  • JENKINS-38650 - "Comama-separated" and other spelling
    • Fixed in 2.26
    • Trivial, but maybe not important

BR, Oleg

Daniel Beck

Nov 8, 2016, 8:34:35 AM11/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 08.11.2016, at 14:10, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> • JENKINS-38615 - Add user to restart log message for restart after plugin installation
> • Fixed in 2.25
> • Improvement, not a bug

Well, Jenkins claiming that anonymous requested restart _is_ a bug, it just wasn't filed as such. I changed the type.

Thorsten Scherler

Nov 8, 2016, 9:17:58 AM11/8/16
to Jenkins Developers
JENKINS-35845 - Internalization support for Blue Ocean and JDL

Is actually a solution to https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-35270 /i18n/resourceBundle does not load bundles from plugins

so yes it should be backported.

TIA

Oliver Gondža

Nov 8, 2016, 10:00:19 AM11/8/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-11-08 14:10, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went through the changelog and marked several issues, which may
> deserve backporting:

Nice selection.

> *Important and safe ones* (trivial fixes):
>
> * JENKINS-38487 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-38487> -
> startup failure in the case of the valid behavior of the
> ComputerListener
> o Released in 2.29
> * JENKINS-27367 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27367> -
> Text no longer wrapped automatically in build step text boxes
> o Fixed in 2.26, but was not annotated properly
> * JENKINS-31871 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-31871> -
> Handling of special symbols in checkURLs
> o Fixed in 2.26
> o Trivial, could cause side effects, nothing has been reported yet
> * JENKINS-38651 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-38651> -
> Display transient actions for labels
> o Fixed in 2.25
> * JENKINS-36539 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-36539> -
> OK button disabled if project type chosen first
> o Fixed in 2.23, missed 2.19.2 somehow
> o Annoying UX bug

Backported all of them.

> *Important ones *(not trivial, need review):
>
> * JENKINS-39465 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-39465> -
> Remoting enabled/disabled protocol settings
> o Released in 2.30
> o Would have a serious impact if we enable JNLP4 in the release,
> but it's still serious

Backported after thorough review.

> * JENKINS-35845 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-35845> -
> Internalization support for Blue Ocean and JDL
> o Released in 2.27 (qualifies the merge criteria)
> o The change is internally backportable, but the issue is marked
> as a Story
> o IMHO missing internalization is rather a bug

I will get back to this one. There seems to be some excessive logging
involved. Commented on PR.

> *May be valuable*:
>
> * JENKINS-39454 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-39454> -
> Race conditions due to the Queue behavior
> o Released in 2.29
> o Impacts Pipeline cases, but AFAIK there is a workaround in plugins

Too now, too tangled.

> * JENKINS-39363 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-39363> -
> resource leak in hudson.XmlFile#readRaw() in the case of encoding issues
> o Released in 2.28
> o Trivial fix, but the case is unlikely a realistic one

Unlikely.

> * JENKINS-37664 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-37664>-
> Endless loop in LargeText.BufferSession.skip causing Pipeline hanging
> o Released in 2.28
> o Requires backporting of the fix to Stapler 1.245.1 => Maybe does
> not worth effort

I guess it is not given this was not even labeled before you did.

> * JENKINS-38615 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-38615> -
> Add user to restart log message for restart after plugin installation
> o Fixed in 2.25
> o Improvement, not a bug

Backported.

> * JENKINS-38650 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-38650> -
> "Comama-separated" and other spelling
> o Fixed in 2.26
> o Trivial, but maybe not important

Skipped.

--
oliver

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 8, 2016, 5:44:06 PM11/8/16
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Oliver!

So we have JENKINS-35845 in the list.
Let's proceed in the PR. Maybe James Dumay and Jesse want to join the discussion here as well.

BR, Oleg

Oliver Gondža

Nov 9, 2016, 2:19:16 PM11/9/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-11-08 23:44, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
> Thanks Oliver!
>
> So we have JENKINS-35845 in the list.
> Let's proceed in the PR
> <https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2586>. Maybe James Dumay and
> Jesse want to join the discussion here as well.

I have backported the fix with amendment. I will push the RC tomorrow
unless it breaks tests badly.

--
oliver

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 16, 2016, 2:56:42 PM11/16/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi guys,

In 2.31 we have fixed one regression, which has been introduced in 2.14.
It is "Prevent NullPointerException when rendering CauseOfInterruption.UserInterruption in build summary pages for non-existent users." (JENKINS-37282 and JENKINS-38721) => Impacts MultiJob and Pipeline job types at least. The fix is pretty trivial.

Since we need to respin the RC due to the security release, I would propose to backport this fix as well.

Best regards,
Oleg