[Jenkins X | JEP-400] Weekly on air hangout/office hours

Michael Neale

Apr 17, 2018, 7:49:12 PM4/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hey all - James Rawlings has proposed a weekly on air/office hours. I know there is a jenkinscicd youtube channel capable of doing scheduled hangouts on air, so I think that would be the best place to do it? Liam?

Liam Newman

Apr 19, 2018, 1:23:30 AM4/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
That is totally doable.  What day of the week what time (including timezone)?

Olblak

Apr 19, 2018, 4:28:14 AM4/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Would it be possible to also add it on the jenkins calendar?
https://jenkins.io/event-calendar/

--
  Olblak

James Rawlings

Apr 19, 2018, 4:41:54 AM4/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Awesome thanks Liam!  So to begin with we’re thinking every two weeks, starting next Thursday 26th April at 16:00 GMT.

That gives us time to prepare any new features from that week and also bring in the US folks.  If there’s demand and once we’re up and running perhaps we can make it every week and alternate mornings / evenings to appeal to different time zones?

James Rawlings

Apr 19, 2018, 4:42:00 AM4/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 19 Apr 2018, at 09:28, Olblak <vern...@gmail.com> wrote:

Would it be possible to also add it on the jenkins calendar?
https://jenkins.io/event-calendar/
Yeah! That would be great once we get things booked in.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 19, 2018, 4:43:45 AM4/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
+1. Actually it would be also great to finally have Jenkins X to finally listed on https://jenkins.io/projects/ .
According to the feedback from the field, the current state causes some confusion since Jenkins X is being developed in separate org and has a separate website.

BR, Oleg

Michael Neale

Apr 19, 2018, 6:17:14 AM4/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
Does that have to happen after the JEP is accepted?

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 19, 2018, 6:30:12 AM4/19/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
No, it can happen at any moment IMHO. I do not see JEP-400 to be a blocker for referencing this project from jenkins.io. OTOH I am not sure it is within Jenkins organization governance now. E.g. using external org blocks Jenkins GitHub admins from managing permission requests, etc. Are there plans to migrate by the way? JEP-400 does not cover these governance things.

BR, Oleg

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
Does that have to happen after the JEP is accepted?

Liam Newman

May 1, 2018, 11:26:58 PM5/1/18
to Jenkins Developers
Oleg: By "listing Jenkins X under sub-projects" do you also mean moving the repositories under jenkinsci org on github and using the Jenkins JIRA?  I support that, but it something that should probably go on a separate thread.

James, Michael,
Obviously I dropped the ball on April 26th.  Shall I schedule the next meeting on the May 8th?

On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 3:30:12 AM UTC-7, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
No, it can happen at any moment IMHO. I do not see JEP-400 to be a blocker for referencing this project from jenkins.io. OTOH I am not sure it is within Jenkins organization governance now. E.g. using external org blocks Jenkins GitHub admins from managing permission requests, etc. Are there plans to migrate by the way? JEP-400 does not cover these governance things.

BR, Oleg
On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
Does that have to happen after the JEP is accepted?

Michael Neale

May 2, 2018, 12:21:08 AM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Lets see what James says about May 8th (should be ok).

On those other topics - yes bigger discussion. jenkins-x/jx issues are currently used as github issues are "dogfooded" - but I believe there is JIRA support so I think in time they can move to jira under a jenkins-x component.

As for repos: there are currently 36 (and growing) in the org - so would need to namespace them to move them into main org. A lot of them are infra/biuld pack type things. There is also jenkins-infra which has 64, which is separate (but I guess it is managed out of band). If it is a matter of managing access to repos etc - could be solved I am sure.

James Rawlings

May 2, 2018, 3:40:32 AM5/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 2 May 2018, at 05:21, Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

Lets see what James says about May 8th (should be ok).
Yeah can we go for every other Thursday starting the 17th May?  There’s conferences and meetings on next week so starting the following would be best.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/747821e2-6de5-4b9a-bc5f-c08632ae54a6%40googlegroups.com.

Liam Newman

May 3, 2018, 2:44:34 PM5/3/18
to Jenkins Developers
Okay, I'll set it up for the 17th.

Liam Newman

May 7, 2018, 5:03:31 PM5/7/18
to Jenkins Developers
This has been added to the Jenkins Calendar:

The event is here:

I've set it up as a https://jenkins.io/hangout to start which means anyone can join and participate, but the sessions will not be recorded. Does that sound good to everyone?