The future of the patron program

Daniel Beck

Feb 26, 2017, 4:03:43 PM2/26/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone,

This is about the patron program:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Patron+of+Jenkins+program

While we have never 'reviewed' the program as described on the wiki page, the project meeting has continued to approve donor messages whenever there were changes, and patrons have continued to donate, and we've shown their messages.

However, we're only showing these messages on the wiki. This was fine when the wiki was all we had, as the site was basically a download link and the changelog. But now, we have a real site and we're in the process of moving a lot of content out of the wiki into that. For example, most of SECURITY wiki (advisories) has been moved to jenkins.io, parts of the project documentation (e.g. governance document, how to contribute), and some of the user documentation is now on jenkins.io. This trend will continue while we improve documentation.

A lot of that content still references wiki pages, and the wiki will never go away, but we're definitely deemphasizing it, at least for Jenkins users who don't contribute to the project.

So the question now is, how should we proceed here? I see the following options:

- Implement the patron messages also on jenkins.io and/or the issue tracker
- End the patron program

I've also put this topic on the agenda of the next project meeting:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Governance+Meeting+Agenda

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Daniel

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 27, 2017, 5:56:36 PM2/27/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hi,

Before making the decisions, it would be great if the Jenkins Board shares info a kind of the Jenkins budget stats for previous years. It is hard to estimate how much the program contributes compared to other sources (I'd guess it contributes **much**). So I am not sure we can afford canceling the Patron program taking the Jenkins infrastructure costs into account.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Daniel Beck

Feb 28, 2017, 8:17:18 PM2/28/17
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Developers

> On 27.02.2017, at 23:56, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> it would be great if the Jenkins Board shares info a kind of the Jenkins budget stats for previous years. It is hard to estimate how much the program contributes compared to other sources (I'd guess it contributes **much**). So I am not sure we can afford canceling the Patron program taking the Jenkins infrastructure costs into account.

Below are excerpts of SPI treasurer reports. It looks to me like we're not depending on having the donations from the Patron program come in regularly. Note that we are also affiliated with FFIS in Germany, but AFAICT they have no public reports. It's probably not nearly that much, I assume low 4 digits.

I asked rtyler whether he could tell me the reason for the very high expenses last year (first item below), and he mentioned that major project expenses are GitHub, certificates, some stickers, and…:

[2017-02-28 23:25:02] <rtyler> in 2016 I also put in a reimbursement for a few thousand worth of costs I hadn't bothered submitting for years

[2017-02-28 23:26:53] <rtyler> our regular burn rate I think is probably less than 2k a year if we run cheap

----

http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2016-November/003598.html
Treasurer's report as of 2016-08 (the newest there currently is)

== Per project summaries 2016 year to date, ending 2016/09/01 ==

=== jenkins ===
debit credit total
0 23423.62 USD 23423.62 USD Equity:Opening Balance
6012.18 USD 0 -6012.18 USD Expenses
158.85 USD 0 -158.85 USD CPFee
3392.88 USD 0 -3392.88 USD Other
2460.45 USD 0 -2460.45 USD Reimbursement
233.00 USD 4660.00 USD 4427.00 USD Income:Donations
6245.18 USD 28083.62 USD 21838.44 USD

----

http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2016-February/003413.html
Treasurer's Report as of 2015-12-31

Jenkins Earmark 23,423.62

----

http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2015-February/003358.html
Treasurer's Report as of 2014-12-31

Jenkins Earmark 21,710.91

----

http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2014-April/003328.html
Treasurer's Report as of 2013-12-31

Jenkins Earmark 11,038.84

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 1, 2017, 2:22:03 PM3/1/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Oleg Nenashev
We talked about this in the project meeting today and one of the questions was to find out the actual numbers of donations and how much is from patrons.

Our cash balance at the end of 2016 was about $27,000: http://www.spi-inc.org/treasurer/reports/201612/#index49h4

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Robert Sandell

Mar 2, 2017, 5:18:03 AM3/2/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
So it looks like to me that just shy of half of our donations each year is from the patron program.
Probably not a good idea to discontinue it in that case :)

/B

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees Inc.

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 2, 2017, 5:56:54 AM3/2/17
to JenkinsCI Developers
I agree. We likely need to do something though it requires contributor time in any case :(
Maybe somebody of patrons wants invest into it in order to get more visibility.

BR, Oleg