[Jenkins GSoC] - Budget status update for 2018 + swag delivery expenses discussion

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 27, 2018, 7:03:46 PM12/27/18
to jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-gsoc-2...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

Please find the Jenkins GSoC budget status update for 2018. You can find my previous report from July 18 here. Please note that these estimations are rather approximate ones. GSoC does not have a separate budget in the Jenkins project until JEP-8 is accepted.
  • Balance on 01.01.2018: 2387.34 USD
  • Income in 2018: 4200 USD in September according to GSoC Org Payments
  • Expenses in 2018: ~3750 USD. Number is approximate (currency rates, etc.), because we do not know exact numbers until SPI 2018 report is published
    • 1902.94 CHF: DevOps World - Jenkins World sponsorship for Pham Vu Tuan:
    • 951.26 CHF - GSoC Mentor Summit - Oleg Nenashev
    • 791.26 CAD - GSoC Mentor Summit - Martin d'Anjou:
    • 254.41 USD - GSoC Mentor Summit - Jeff Pearce: . The report has not been submitted to SPI yet
  • Estimated GSoC balance on 01.01.2019: 2837.34 USD
So, finally we did not need extra budget as it was approved in July (thread). Reasons: 1 project was failed and did not get conference travel sponsorship. For the third project we still have some money reserved should the student decide to go to a Jenkins conference and present his work (up to 1000 USD). Even with that, we have more than 1800 USD reserved for the next year.

I would like to spend some of that budget on sending swag to GSoC 2018 participants who have not yet received the swag at DevOps World - Jenkins World and other events (~15 recipients). It was originally planned for GSoC 2018, but unfortunately it was significantly delayed (my fault). It would be also great to print some extra Jenkins GSoC stickers so that we could use them for future events.

My plan is to have a detailed budget calculation for swag by Monday so that it could be discussed at the governance meeting. My rough estimation is that it is going to be around 500USD, including printing and delivery costs. I would appreciate feedback about feasibility of such expense. WDYT?

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev
Jenkins GSoC Org Admin

Martin d'Anjou

Dec 28, 2018, 8:55:26 AM12/28/18
to Oleg Nenashev, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-gsoc-2...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Oleg,

Thanks for preparing this budget.

I think sending swag to GSoC participants is a great idea. We heard at the mentor summit that this was a great way to thank students and mentors.

I have a question. There were some talks about making a GSoC banner to be displayed at the developers booth at various events, including DevOps World - JW. Is that part of the swag budget?

Thanks,
Martin d'Anjou
Jenkins GSoC Org Admin

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 28, 2018, 5:08:18 PM12/28/18
to Martin d'Anjou, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-gsoc-2...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Alyssa Tong
Hi Martin,

No, I did not consider the banner to be within the requested budget.
Preparing a banner requires significant production cost. It seems that Jenkins does not have a table at FOSDEM so far (stands list), so probably it is not a time-pressing matter. It will make sense to prepare it once the community booth plan for DevOps World - Jenkins World is announced by Alyssa. My proposal would be to revisit this topic in April or so.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 2, 2019, 7:51:15 AM1/2/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, I was unable to finish the calculation due to some personal stuff.
Maybe we could start from approving 500USD so that we have some runway in the GSoC org admin team.
If we spend less, it will be even better

BR, Oleg
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to jenkins-gsoc-2019-org-admins+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Jan 2, 2019, 6:50:25 PM1/2/19
to Oleg Nenashev, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-gsoc-2...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the details, Oleg.

As a board, my continued guidance is that the money the project has raised is doing no good sitting in SPI, so we should look for ways to use it to make positive impacts. If we find a great way to spend money and empties the balance, that's kind of great because we have a great reason to go raise more money from the community.

As long as we are aligned with that goal, for the kind of dollar amount we are talking about (~500USD), I think you have a large degree of leeway here.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 2, 2019, 7:21:22 PM1/2/19
to Kohsuke Kawaguchi, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public, JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-gsoc-2...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kohsuke,

Yes, in GSoC we would be interested to have some budgeting freedom for such small transactions.
There is a JEP-8 for it. If you have some bandwidth, it would be great if you could review this JEP or to assign a BDFL delegate there (likely somebody from the Board or GSoC Org Admins).

This particular request has been approved at the today's governance meeting

BR, Oleg