Password Reset Emails Not Going Out

Chuck Burgess

Feb 13, 2018, 6:01:17 PM2/13/18
to Jenkins Developers
I tried to sign up for an account at jenkins.io, but it says my username and email address are already registered.  I took this to mean I'd signed up in the past (which I suspected), but many attempts to send a password reset email have resulted in nothing.  I've tried multiple times across at least 30 minutes, to no avail.

Is the email sender broken?
CRB

Chuck Burgess

Feb 14, 2018, 3:09:14 PM2/14/18
to Jenkins Developers

Oops!

email: ash...@php.net already exist

so it does at least indicate to me that I've previously signed up.

Done!

If your user account or email address exists in our database, you will receive a password at your email address in a few minutes

But trying to get the password reset link sent to that email address says "sent" but it never arrives.

All I need to do is create a bug against the jdepend plugin due to the jep-200 stuff... but my path of yak shaving steps is stuck on accounts.jenkins.io :-(

CRB

Daniel Beck

Feb 14, 2018, 4:00:31 PM2/14/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 14. Feb 2018, at 20:44, Chuck Burgess <demon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But trying to get the password reset link sent to that email address says "sent" but it never arrives.
>
> All I need to do is create a bug against the jdepend plugin due to the jep-200 stuff... but my path of yak shaving steps is stuck on accounts.jenkins.io :-(

The account app sends emails just fine, so that's not it. I also checked, your account looks reasonable.

I initiated a password reset for you as admin, perhaps this worked?

Chuck Burgess

Feb 14, 2018, 4:07:34 PM2/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hey Daniel,

Didn't receive the email, so if you've confirmed the send is working, then it must be the php.net email relay that's stopping it.  I'll see about getting it checked.

Thanks for confirming the jenkins.io side of it :+1
CRB

Jon Hermansen

Feb 16, 2018, 8:20:14 PM2/16/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Should the login system really confirm/deny the existence of users here? I haven't tested this, that's just how the error message reads.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Testing_for_User_Enumeration_and_Guessable_User_Account_(OWASP-AT-002)#Other_ways_to_enumerate_users