Orphaning the lockable-resources-plugin

Tobias Gruetzmacher

Mar 18, 2021, 2:55:14 PM3/18/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm sorry to say that I'm going to orphan the lockable-resources-plugin.
The main reason is that I'm basically not using it anymore, so testing
any changes is pretty hard for me.

I thing the plugin is in a good shape at the moment, but it could use
some love to provide an even better plugin in the future :D

The plugin still suffers from the occasional race conditions[1] and
multiple attempts were made to fix them (mostly by adding more
"synchronized" to some methods), but they still seem to happen from time
to time... There is an open pull request[2] to address this issue, which
either needs to be reviewed and merged or the internals need to be
carefully redesigned to focus the whole locking code to a more manageable
subset of the code...

The plugin is quite widely installed (because it's a dependency of the
pipeline suite), but I'm not quite sure how widely used it is. For that
reason, I would suggest anyone who wants to take over to make backward
compatibility a very high priority.

There are some feature enhancement pull requests and for some of them I
frankly think they shouldn't be part of the plugin - It might be
possible to enhance the plugin to make "resources" pluggable, so that
other plugins can provide those features for the small subset of users
that need them, but I never had the time to implement something like
that.

Regards, Tobias

[1]: https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-64127
[2]: https://github.com/jenkinsci/lockable-resources-plugin/pull/219

Basil Crow

Mar 18, 2021, 3:53:36 PM3/18/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, tobias...@23.gs
Thanks for maintaining this plugin for the past few years, Tobias! I
have been using this plugin since 2016 and appreciate your efforts to
keep this plugin in good shape. Proper concurrency control is
difficult but critical, especially in enterprise settings. Happy to
help keep it going - I filed an RPU pull request [1] for permissions.

[1] https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/1888

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 22, 2021, 3:15:07 PM3/22/21
to Jenkins Developers

Thanks for all your contributions Tobias! And thanks to Basil for stepping up as a new maintainer!