[Plugin adoption] stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 3, 2019, 10:41:06 AM1/3/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, nathan....@quanitum.com.au
Hi,
 I'd like to become a maintainer of https://plugins.jenkins.io/stash-pullrequest-builder

The plugin is not listed as "for adoption" but it looks abandoned.
I've also created a JIRA ticket in December, also no reply: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-55148
Github doesn't show any author's activity in the project for far more than that (~ since Jan 2017).

I don't have big plans for the plugin just want to merge some obvious bug fixes:

CCing the git commit email of previous maintainer.

Best regards,
Jakub Bocheński

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 3, 2019, 10:45:08 AM1/3/19
to Jenkins Developers

CCing the git commit email of previous maintainer.

So much for that:
DNS Error: 11045696 DNS type 'mx' lookup of quanitum.com.au responded with code NXDOMAIN
Domain name not found: quanitum.com.au

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 4, 2019, 5:13:18 AM1/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
PS.

> IMPORTANT: To speed up and ease the process, please provide the two following things:
  • Your GitHub id: jakub-bochenski
  • Your Jenkins infrastructure account id: jbochenski

plro...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2019, 4:59:16 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

My organization uses Jenkins with Stash. No other plugin is causing us as much trouble as stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin. After another Jenkins upgrade, we had to switch from the weekly Jenkins builds to LTS because the plugin started posting alarming messages instead of the links to the Jenkins build:

We are at 2.138.4 now, and we cannot go to 2.150.1 without having that issue resurface. In other words, we cannot even track the stable branch now. We'll be in a bad situation if the future security fixes are only released for the 2.150.x branch.

Sure, we could build our own copy of the plugin. However, out company is not in the software business, and we don't use Java. I don't want to vouch for the Java code that is involved in running our tests.

There are multiple known issues with the plugin. There are people who know how to fix them. Somebody is willing to maintain the plugin. But that person is not the maintainer. Let's fix it, please!

Best regards,
Pavel Roskin

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 7, 2019, 5:52:11 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
The usual timeout is normally 2 weeks for such requests of taking over maintenance.
From a cursory look, it _might_ look like we can fast forward the process a bit.

I'll try to have a deeper look tomorrow or so if nobody does it before.

@Jakub thanks a lot for stepping up.
We understand this wait can be frustrating sometimes, but we have to balance the willingness of great people willing to take the baton with paying due respect to the great people who gave some of their time in the past to the community.

Cheers!

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 8, 2019, 12:28:07 PM1/8/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

If I may suggest one improvement I would suggest ACKing the message sooner, explaining the timeout. I wasn't sure if my email just went into peoples spam filters or was it the holidays/new year's lull

Jakub Bocheński

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS7M%3D4Ua3fnuLaKCGzahii3EseyNY2KYYQMQ-bhG09UT9Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 11, 2019, 11:28:44 AM1/11/19
to Jenkins Developers
Le mar. 8 janv. 2019 à 18:28, Jakub Bocheński <kuba.bo...@gmail.com> a écrit :

If I may suggest one improvement I would suggest ACKing the message sooner, explaining the timeout. I wasn't sure if my email just went into peoples spam filters or was it the holidays/new year's lull

I understand you're not trying to be rude or so, but I'll take this message as a reminder there's no time commitment from anyone on the open source side.
Nobody is processing these things for work time or something. BTW, we do welcome help on any area where people are willing to help.

So, and probably even more during such special holiday periods like Christmas that means family time for some people in some parts of the world, there is likely be more latency in answers.

But that is fine, you did the right thing pinging us again after some time. So all is good :-).

Thanks!

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 11, 2019, 11:33:47 AM1/11/19
to Jenkins Developers, nathan....@quanitum.com.au
Given the level of activity of the plugin (last (failed AFAICT) release 2 years ago), I'm going to move forward here even if the timeout of two weeks is not fully reached yet.

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 11, 2019, 11:37:10 AM1/11/19
to Jenkins Developers
Done. Thanks a lot for the involvement and the patience @Jakub!
You should have received an invitation that you *must* accept to get merge/push access.

FTR
[17:33] <+     batmat> | jenkins-admin: hello !
[17:33] <@jenkins-adm> | Hello batmat!
[17:34] <+     batmat> | jenkins-admin: make jakub-bochenski committer on stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin
[17:34] <@jenkins-adm> | Added jakub-bochenski as a GitHub committer for repository stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin
[17:34] <+     batmat> | jenkins-admin: make jbochenski the lead of stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin
[17:34] <@jenkins-adm> | Changing default assignee of subcomponent stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin to jbochenski
[17:34] <@jenkins-adm> | Default assignee set to jbochenski

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 18, 2019, 10:32:51 AM1/18/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hey, I couldn't find any invites, all I got is this email

You’ve been added to the stash-pullrequest-builder-plug
in Developers team for the Jenkins organization.  stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin Developers has 2 members and gives *pull* access to 1 jenkinsci repository.

View stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin Developers: https://github.com/orgs/jenkinsci/teams/stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin-developers

Read more about team permissions here: https://help.github.com/articles/what-are-the-different-access-permissions

I still don't have write permissions.

@Baptiste Mathus can you help please?

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 5:35:31 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 21, 2019, 7:02:21 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
You have to file a PR there yourself if you want access.
Note that this file is only about deployment permission for releases, and is fully unrelated to GitHub merge permission.

Invited you again.

[13:01] <+     batmat> | jenkins-admin: make jakub-bochenski committer on stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin
[13:01] <@jenkins-adm> | Added jakub-bochenski as a GitHub committer for repository stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 7:27:16 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
> Invited you again.

I still have only read access (not the invite text says "gives *pull* access to 1 jenkinsci repository.").
I'm guessing maybe there is some setting on the repository level for that only gives read access to members? Unfortunately I can't check that.
Screenshot_20190121_132018.png

This is what I see for logstash-plugin https://github.com/orgs/jenkinsci/teams/logstash-plugin-developers/repositories , which I'm also maintaining:
Screenshot_20190121_132242.png

> Note that this file is only about deployment permission for releases, and is fully unrelated to GitHub merge permission.

Right, sorry I got the two confused.

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 7:32:13 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
PS. I mean probably something is wrong wrt those settings for stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin repository, but having no access I can't check:

Screenshot_20190121_132945.png

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 8:29:34 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
PPS. Just in case: I am talking about access to https://github.com/jenkinsci/stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin not the one at nemccarthy/stash-pullrequest-builder-plugin

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 8:34:46 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
Actually I see I now have write access. Thanks!

I think we would also need admin access, or for somebody with admin access to rest the hooks settings on the repository.

AFAIR jenkinsci organization defines default hooks for http://ci.jenkins.io/ but it seems this repository is overriding them.

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 8:59:23 AM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
One final thing I would ask for is to enable branch protection for master; this requires admin access

Screenshot_20190121_145729.png

Richard Bywater

Jan 21, 2019, 1:23:09 PM1/21/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Out of interest wouldn't that break the ability to release as the release plugin in Maven wouldn't be able to push the version number updates?

Richard.

Jakub Bocheński

Jan 21, 2019, 5:13:18 PM1/21/19
to Jenkins Developers
That's a good point, you need admin permissions to release then.