Jenkins job failure analysis

Sameer

Aug 20, 2019, 4:53:39 AM8/20/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I have been building my Java application using Jenkins (ver. 2.187) which was running in an EC2 instance. My code has Junit tests also. However sometimes the job fails for no reason valid to the code. Once the EC2 instance was upgraded with better resources it started working smoothly. Is there way, I could find the root cause of failure in such a case? Basically I want to understand at Jenkins level what made it to fail the job.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sameer

Mark Waite

Aug 20, 2019, 8:20:09 AM8/20/19
to jenkinsci-dev
This is a question best asked on the user mailing list.  The developer list is used for development discussions related to Jenkins and its components (plugins, modules, etc.).

Jenkins executes processes (junit tests, for example) and reports the return value of those processes and optionally analyzes the results of those processes to decide the state of the job.  If a process returns a non-zero exit code, that will generally cause Jenkins to mark the job as failed.  If a junit process writes a report file that Jenkins analyzes and that file includes a failing test, that will generally cause Jenkins to mark the job as unstable.

Thanks!
Mark Waite