Someone to take over GHPRB

David Tanner

Sep 16, 2016, 4:25:02 PM9/16/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

I no longer have the time to dedicate to code reviews for this project, can someone else take over?

Thanks,
David Tanner

Daniel Beck

Sep 16, 2016, 9:01:47 PM9/16/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I marked the plugin as 'up for adoption' in the wiki:
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/GitHub+pull+request+builder+plugin

Ben Patterson

Sep 24, 2016, 12:55:53 PM9/24/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hi Daniel and David -

I can help out with this plugin if you'd like someone to guide home the pull requests and such. I have some cycles.

Care to give me contributor access?

Ben

Ben Patterson

Sep 24, 2016, 3:59:45 PM9/24/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, m...@beckweb.net

Och I should have mentioned my github id: benpatterson

sent via Android

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/32e9c050-4bf3-49a7-8fed-29391a784b9e%40googlegroups.com.

James Dumay

Sep 26, 2016, 2:06:12 AM9/26/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
I know this plugin is extensively in use for ci.swift.org (Yeah, Apple's Swift Language team use Jenkins!) and they are running into some issues (https://github.com/janinko/ghprb/issues/150 and https://github.com/janinko/ghprb/issues/284 specifically) so it would be great to see someone pick up maintainership.

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 26, 2016, 2:33:14 AM9/26/16
to Jenkins Developers

Hey,
Great you're interested.
Can you give us your Jenkins id too?

Thanks

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAAT-2mXtK5TXEfH0xv1vo6tdvfL-e1JL8Vh7oC3iuMHM916rfw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Patterson

Sep 26, 2016, 7:46:45 AM9/26/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hi Baptiste -

By Jenkins ID you mean JIRA ID, right? That's bpatterson.

Let me know if you need anything else....

Ben

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 26, 2016, 3:33:36 PM9/26/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Ben,

Just made you the new maintainer of that plugin.

Many things:

* you must accept the GitHub invitation to make that effective
* you will have to file a PR to https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/ to be able to release
* Please beware about the backward compat. You probably want to start small, file PRs even if you think you're alone (you can ping @jenkinsci/code-reviewers if you like). Then progressively unfold sails as you go :)

Thank you and welcome!

David Tanner

Sep 26, 2016, 3:54:46 PM9/26/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@batmat.net
If you need clarification on anything I can respond to emails, I just don't have time for PR reviews/new features.

Ben Patterson

Sep 26, 2016, 4:24:56 PM9/26/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
James - Since the plugin is maintained on jenkinsci and not janinko, is it fair enough to call the problem you're referencing https://github.com/jenkinsci/ghprb-plugin/issues/414

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/fa7d8796-3193-4f6a-a48f-f75d4a769c03%40googlegroups.com.

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 26, 2016, 4:57:05 PM9/26/16
to Jenkins Developers
@Ben, if you can indeed also work on improving that state, that would be great. Maybe breaking the fork link to make the jenkinsci repo not appear as a fork anymore, move issues to JIRA and so on... That would be probably beneficial to users to not have 2 or 3 places to look at to look for and file issues on that plugin :-/.

Thanks!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAAT-2mUm5u2bnR8j2uSqC6TiBCzdmQ0gAM1apsLn5%2BAir_Co2Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Ben Patterson

Sep 26, 2016, 5:04:18 PM9/26/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Yeah breaking the fork link would be under the control of the other repo fwiw so I couldn't promise that. But I'll give it as try. At the least, I'll play some catch up to understand where mr tanner left off, and then get things rolling again.

sent via Android

Daniel Beck

Sep 27, 2016, 5:09:45 AM9/27/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 26.09.2016, at 23:04, Ben Patterson <patter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah breaking the fork link would be under the control of the other repo fwiw so I couldn't promise that.

I can ask GitHub support to do that if that's the consensus.

Ben Patterson

Sep 27, 2016, 4:09:49 PM9/27/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
It sounds good to me. FWIW I had submitted an issue to the 'current' parent repo; I assume GH would only make the switch if all parties agree.

FYI - https://github.com/janinko/ghprb/issues/443

Daniel Beck

Sep 27, 2016, 4:54:48 PM9/27/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 27.09.2016, at 22:09, Ben Patterson <patter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It sounds good to me. FWIW I had submitted an issue to the 'current' parent repo; I assume GH would only make the switch if all parties agree.

Breaking the connection shouldn't need that -- we could delete the repo, create a new one, then push --mirror to get a similar effect.

That said, maybe inverting the link, making jenkinci's the root of the network, would be preferable? Otherwise it's disconnected from all existing forks.

Ben Patterson

Sep 27, 2016, 4:57:23 PM9/27/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Well, my two cents is indeed to do things by the book in GitHub-land for the reasons that you mentioned (e.g., forks are still linked, etc.) But perhaps if that's going to be a protracted or painful process, it's worth reconsidering.

Ben Patterson

Nov 15, 2016, 8:19:29 AM11/15/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Circling back on this thread, while I've been able to make progress as the maintainer of this plugin, I don't think it will be a successfully maintained plugin without additional help. There are some bigger-than-a-breadbox improvements needed, such as removing deprecations brought about by Jenkins 2.0, etc. If anyone has keen interest, please let me/this-line know and let's get you collaborator or maintainer status.

Daniel Beck

Nov 15, 2016, 8:24:23 AM11/15/16
to Jenkins Developers

> On 15.11.2016, at 14:19, Ben Patterson <patter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If anyone has keen interest, please let me/this-line know and let's get you collaborator or maintainer status.

Note that you can add a comment to adopt-this-plugin in the wiki, so you can use that as a vehicle to look for co-maintainer:

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Adopt+a+Plugin#AdoptaPlugin-HowcanImarkapluginforadoption%3F

Ben Patterson

Nov 15, 2016, 8:25:04 AM11/15/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Good point; I'll do that as well Daniel. ty

jph...@linuxfoundation.org

May 23, 2017, 2:14:01 PM5/23/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi David,
I realize it's 2017, but my company (The Linux Foundation) has a vested interest in this plugin.  I'll be glad to be a maintainer.  Github Id: JPWKU
Thanks,
Jeremy

Ben Patterson

May 23, 2017, 2:39:07 PM5/23/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jeremy -

I maintain the plugin but I'd love to share that duty. I see an e-mail from you in my work account; I'll write you back there. 👍

Ben