Artifactory brownout Wed 6 Dec 2023 1:00 PM UTC - 3:00 PM UTC

Mark Waite

Dec 4, 2023, 9:22:51 AM12/4/23
to Jenkins Developers
The Jenkins infrastructure team will remove the jcenter and jcenter-cache repositories from the definition of the `public` virtual repository as part of the effort to reduce bandwidth consumption by repo.jenkins-ci.org.

We will perform a two hour "brownout" test Wednesday December 6, 2023 from 1:00 PM UTC to 3:00 PM UTC.  During that two hour period, the jcenter and jcenter-cache repositories will not be included in the public virtual repository.  At the end of the two hour brownout, we will insert the jcenter and jcenter-cache repositories into the public virtual repository again.

During the brownout, we'll perform specific tests as described in help desk ticket 3842.  The Jenkins infra team will be performing those tests.  If others would like to join the tests, they are welcome to comment in the Jenkins infra chat channel.

After the brownout is complete, we'll analyze the results.  If the results show no failures, we'll plan to implement the production change next week.  If the results show failures, we'll resolve the failures and plan for a second brownout to confirm that the failures are resolved.

More details may be discussed tomorrow at 2:30 PM UTC in the weekly Jenkins infra team meeting.  See the Jenkins events calendar for the link to the weekly Jenkins infra team meeting.

Thanks,
Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Dec 11, 2023, 3:46:01 PM12/11/23
to Jenkins Developers
On Monday, December 4, 2023 at 7:22:51 AM UTC-7 Mark Waite wrote:
[...]

The brownout was a success.  It showed us a few changes that we need to make and it confirmed that we're on the right path.

Changes to be made:
  • Add a cache of the Atlassian open source public repository to the public virtual repository so that Jenkins plugins can access the open source Jira integration libraries used in plugins like the Jira plugin.  This can be done immediately
  • Remove the jcenter and oss.sonatype.org-releases repositories from the public virtual repository so that Maven Central is used for artifacts provided by Maven Central.  This will be done on Friday
I believe that those are small enough changes that we don't need a second brownout to test them.

I propose that we make the production change this Friday at about 2:00 PM UTC.  I'll check with the Jenkins infrastructure team tomorrow to confirm that Friday works with their schedule.

If the change surprises us with issues,  we'll revert the change and try again next week.

Mark Waite

Basil Crow

Dec 11, 2023, 3:59:34 PM12/11/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1, I think we have done all the preparation we can for this change.