Rename of http_request artifactId

Janario Oliveira

Mar 17, 2017, 10:50:05 AM3/17/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi guys,

I've renamed the artifactId of the plugin http_request to http-request-plugin.

But, I'm getting an error when I try to generate the release under the new name

> Failed to deploy artifacts: Could not transfer artifact org.jenkins-ci.plugins:http-request-plugin:hpi:1.9.0 from/to maven.jenkins-ci.org (https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/releases/): Access denied to: https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/releases/org/jenkins-ci/plugins/http-request-plugin/1.9.0/http-request-plugin-1.9.0.hpi, ReasonPhrase: Forbidden. -> [Help 1]

What should I do to receive the this permission under the new name?

Thank you all.

Jesse Glick

Mar 17, 2017, 10:54:28 AM3/17/17
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Janario Oliveira
<janario....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've renamed the artifactId of the plugin http_request to
> http-request-plugin.

I would advise you revert that ASAP.

First of all, there is no mechanism in Jenkins to change the ID of a
plugin after people have installed it. So users will not see an
upgrade; they will just see an unrelated plugin.

Second, the new name is wrong! Jenkins plugin names should not end in `-plugin`.

So revert the name change, and if you managed to deploy an artifact
under the new name, file an INFRA ticket to get the bogus release
blocked from the update center before people get confused.

Daniel Beck

Mar 17, 2017, 11:21:08 AM3/17/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 17.03.2017, at 15:54, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> First of all, there is no mechanism in Jenkins to change the ID of a
> plugin after people have installed it. So users will not see an
> upgrade; they will just see an unrelated plugin.

This. 4.5k users will be stuck on the old version, continuing to report bugs and feature requests thinking they're on the newest version there is. Not to mention possible issues if they just install the new plugin without uninstalling the old one since nothing but artifactId was changed.

I strongly recommend this be undone.

Janario Oliveira

Mar 17, 2017, 11:28:04 AM3/17/17
to Jenkins Developers

<janario....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've renamed the artifactId of the plugin http_request to
> http-request-plugin.

I would advise you revert that ASAP.

First of all, there is no mechanism in Jenkins to change the ID of a
plugin after people have installed it. So users will not see an
upgrade; they will just see an unrelated plugin.
I understand that Jenkins doesn't change the ID. I added information on the last release before the rename
It will show 2 plugins, the new one and the old one with information of rename

The reason I'm changing it is because the links and configuration points to a wrong destination
Wrong:
And It goes in other places.

If there is a way to fix all this, I could keep the old name

Second, the new name is wrong! Jenkins plugin names should not end in `-plugin`.
 I could use http-request

Daniel Beck

Mar 17, 2017, 12:52:10 PM3/17/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 17.03.2017, at 16:28, Janario Oliveira <janario....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And It goes in other places.
>
> If there is a way to fix all this, I could keep the old name

Jira link will be removed soon anyway since we currently have no great way to handle the naming inconsistencies there -- and it's not just your plugin.

And for GitHub URL, there's https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/WEBSITE-332 in progress that will take care of that.

Janario Oliveira

Mar 17, 2017, 1:05:49 PM3/17/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net