[GSoC 2018] Jenkins Remoting over Message Bus/Queue Introduction

Pham Vu Tuan

May 18, 2018, 1:51:04 AM5/18/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

My name is Vu Tuan, and I am participating in Jenkins Google Summer of Code this year as a student. My project is Jenkins Remoting over Message Bus/Queue.
Some background about this project:
  • Current versions of Jenkins Remoting are based on the TCP protocol. If it fails, the agent connection and the build fails as well. There are also issues with traffic prioritization and multi-agent communications, which impact Jenkins stability and scalability.
  • This project aims an update of Remoting and Jenkins in order to add support of a popular message queue/bus technology (RabbitMQ or Kafka) as a fault-tolerant communication layer in Jenkins.

Currently we are in the first phase of the project and I am going to implement a PoC in this first phase. The messaging technology used is Apache Kafka, and the deliverable for the first phase will be in Docker compose with multiple services and components involved.
If you are interested, we have a gitter chat for this project. The weekly meeting schedule is:
  • Every Tuesday, 02:00-03:00 PM UTC

  • Every Friday, 02:00-03:00 PM UTC

I am looking forward to contributing to Jenkins community this summer.

Best regards,
Pham Vu Tuan

Carlos Sanchez

May 18, 2018, 3:33:32 AM5/18/18
to Jenkins Developers
Very cool, looking forward to it !

Matt Sicker

May 21, 2018, 11:23:12 AM5/21/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I love asynchrony and messaging! Looking forward to see how this works out. :)

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 7:51 AM Pham Vu Tuan <phamvu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Software Engineer, CloudBees