An update on my "JSF" idea from the Contributor Summit

R. Tyler Croy

Sep 29, 2017, 1:09:36 PM9/29/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Let me first apologize that it's taken me this long to send an update to the
dev list. Transparency is an incredible important facet of the Jenkins project
for me, so this is long overdue :)

At the Jenkins World Contributor Summit I presented two (related) visions I
have been developing for some time now. One, the Jenkins Enhancement Proposal,
you should have already seen being discussed on this list. The other was the
"Jenkins Software Foundation."

The presentation is linked below[0], but a couple salient points:

* Provide a legal identity which would allow for signing of contracts and other
agreements. For reference, Kohsuke, Dean, and I personally signed the
agreement with Microsoft for our Azure partnership.

* Create a clear, and well-understood, path for larger organizations to
participate in the project.

There are numerous other good points, but those will be more thoroughly
documented in a JEP at a later date :)

The update I wanted to give is: we are still very much in the *research
phase*.

I have had some productive discussions with our pals at the Linux Foundation
(LF) about what our values are as a community, and what we're trying to
accomplish. LF is preparing some draft charters/governance documents based on
that feedback. Additionally, I'm tasked with creating a realistic budget for
what would account for all of the project's infrastructure, outreach, and other
costs, such that we can fold that in as well. The overarching goal being to
create something which reflects who we are and what we need, rather than trying
to mold the Jenkins project into something it's not.

I'm happy to discuss this more if anybody has questions, feel free to jump into
the #jenkins-community channel on Freenode :)

[0] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1E3sUlRnfG-Dpmj-Lwrse56S0aUY3PBoGlenU5QwYCXg/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F
signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 1, 2017, 11:27:55 AM10/1/17
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks a lot for working on that!
Once we have a reviewable draft, it would be great to start the discussion of the details.

+1 for doing bits of it as a JEP

BR, Oleg

Owen B. Mehegan

Oct 1, 2017, 1:47:29 PM10/1/17
to Jenkins Developers
Agreed, I think this is important and I support the idea of continuing to work on it. I'm willing to help with the process if I can!