Preparing to Hacktoberfest 2019 in Jenkins. Join us!

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 31, 2019, 7:07:46 PM8/31/19
to JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Jenkins Area Meetup Coordination
Hi all,

Hacktoberfest 2019 has been announced today: https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ . It is a one-month global event where people contribute to open-source in order to get some Swag. The event is mostly online, but there are also some meetups being organized by communities. Jenkins has been participating in recent years (e.g. the 2018 blogpost), and we have got a a good number of contributions from it.

There is nothing needed to participate in Hacktoberfest, per se. We can just wait for contributions, and some will come. But we could also prepare better to it and generate some buzz to get more external contributions. I would like to do it this year again.

Where do we need help:
  • Contributors -  Consider participating in Hacktoberfest this year, and help us to spread the word in social media once announcements go live ;) We will also appreciate if somebody is willing to join the Code Reviewers team to help with the increased number of pull requests related to Hacktoberfest
  • Maintainers - Propose your plugins/projects to be highlighted in our announcements (e.g. see  https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/10/01/hacktoberfest/#projects). We look for projects with active reviewers, newbie-friendly tickets, and clear contributing guidelines. It can be basically any Jenkins-related project, even if it is not located within Jenkins GitHub organizations
  • Maintainers - update lists of newbie-friendly tickets. For Hacktoberfest it is common to offer real small tasks, and tasks which take 1..4 hours. If such tasks are well defined, it increases their chances of being implemented by a contributor
  • Meetup organizers - consider hosting a hackathon in October. It can be a Jenkins Area meetup or meetup in another group with some Jenkins/Jenkins X topics in the agenda. There is a  Hacktoberfest Event Kit for organizers, and we will also try to help from the Jenkins side. Please use the Advocacy&Outreach SIG chat or mailing list if you need help
If you have any questions, please reply to the thread or join the Jenkins Hacktoberfest Gitter channel. And please feel free to propose your projects below. E.g., I nominate the Jenkins Core, and  the Configuration-as-Code plugin :)

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev
Advocacy & Outreach SIG

Slide

Aug 31, 2019, 8:37:11 PM8/31/19
to Jenkins Developer List, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Jenkins Area Meetup Coordination
This was a lot of fun last year, plus free swag for helping an open source project!

Rick

Aug 31, 2019, 9:13:26 PM8/31/19
to Slide, Jenkins Developer List, 宣传与推广SIG Jenkins, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Jenkins Area Meetup Coordination
grest online event!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Area Meetup Coordination" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-jam/CAPiUgVcU%2BP_ocDxSCV-w6HJFdV8yxHWFMX3_dOULWUix8ONGGw%40mail.gmail.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 1, 2019, 4:17:33 PM9/1/19
to Jenkins Developers
Not only an online event.
Let's organize some local hackathons! :)

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 3:13:26 AM UTC+2, Rick wrote:
grest online event!

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019, 16:07 Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Marky Jackson

Sep 1, 2019, 6:09:32 PM9/1/19
to Jenkins Developers
I just put in a request to be a code reviewer

Rick

Sep 1, 2019, 7:13:07 PM9/1/19
to Developers Jenkins
Yes. I organized an offline event last year. But don't know if we have swag from Jenkins.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 6:09 AM Marky Jackson <marky.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just put in a request to be a code reviewer

Robert Sandell

Sep 4, 2019, 6:32:06 AM9/4/19
to Jenkins Developer List
Just a though...
Could we perhaps add a special icon in the release drafter config for merged PRs with the hacktoberfest label to "spice things up" a bit? :)

/B

Den mån 2 sep. 2019 kl 14:21 skrev Olivier Vernin <ove...@cloudbees.com>:
\o/ thanks @Oleg Nenashev for following this, I may have some infrastructure improvement suggestions :D

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-advocacy-and-outreach-sig/CAMM7nTFD_4NFv1eskg09jYzaFRhF380xkE2gJrtc1t2RFQJ14g%40mail.gmail.com.

--

Vernin Olivier Senior Operation Engineer CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 4, 2019, 7:51:47 AM9/4/19
to Jenkins Developers
Could we perhaps add a special icon in the release drafter config for merged PRs with the hacktoberfest label to "spice things up" a bit? :)

Just do it! A pull request to https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/blob/master/.github/release-drafter.yml will apply it across all Jenkins and Jenkins Infra repositories using it as a template.
Unfortunately there is no Hacktoberfest emoji supported by GitHub, I will send a message to the Hacktoberfest team to ask whether it is something they could organize.
We can use :beers: as a Plan B tho :D

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 3:13 AM Rick <linux...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 16, 2019, 4:45:41 AM9/16/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just a quick update here, I have created a landing page for Hacktoberfest 2019: https://jenkins.io/events/hacktoberfest/
It includes a number of Featured project we are going to promote for Hacktoberfest.

If you wish to add your project to the list, please send a pull request.
To make the project a featured one, there is a following expectation:
  • A component/sub-project is actively maintained. There are contributors who can provide a quick turnaround in PRs
  • There are at least 5 newbie-friendly tickets in Jenkins JIRA or GitHub Issues
  • There are contributing guidelines suitable for newcomers
All contributions and project suggestions will be appreciated!

Best regards,
Oleg

Rick

Sep 16, 2019, 9:01:49 PM9/16/19
to Developers Jenkins
Hi team,

There's another Jenkins CLI project. I don't if it's ok to add it into the project list. Please let me know.

Vernin Olivier Senior Operation Engineer CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 17, 2019, 8:42:03 AM9/17/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Rick,

It is OK as long as the conditions above are met.

BR, Oleg

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 3:01:49 AM UTC+2, Rick wrote:
Hi team,

There's another Jenkins CLI project. I don't if it's ok to add it into the project list. Please let me know.

Vernin Olivier Senior Operation Engineer CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 18, 2019, 11:50:18 AM9/18/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Some updates about the Hacktoberfest:

Best regards,
Oleg

Rick

Sep 18, 2019, 8:03:09 PM9/18/19
to Developers Jenkins
Hi Oleg.

Thanks for your efforts. So great.

Vernin Olivier Senior Operation Engineer CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 24, 2019, 5:43:57 PM9/24/19
to Jenkins Developers
Online meetups have been scheduled to Oct 03: https://www.meetup.com/Jenkins-online-meetup/events/265130355/ and https://www.meetup.com/Jenkins-online-meetup/events/265130441/

I also have an update about having Jenkins as a featured project this year. I have reached to the Hactoberfest support, and their response is that there will be no featured projects this year. Instead of that, they will be randomly showing issues with the "hacktoberfest" label. It is quite a challenge for us, because many our issues are in JIRA instead of GitHub.

It would be great if maintainers of components with GitHub Issues create label their issues accordingly and reference https://jenkins.io/events/hacktoberfest/ in them. It will help us to generate us some traffic to other projects.

Best regards,
Oleg

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 2:03:09 AM UTC+2, Rick wrote:
Hi Oleg.

Thanks for your efforts. So great.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 2, 2019, 6:06:59 AM10/2/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Hacktoberfest is up and running. We have already received dozens of contributions, and counting!

Some updates:
And, as a reminder, we have 2 Jenkins online meetups tomorrow: https://www.meetup.com/Jenkins-online-meetup/events/265130355/ and https://www.meetup.com/Jenkins-online-meetup/events/265130441/ . If you want to advertise your projects/components there, please feel free to join!

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev