Testing a plugin before release

JordanGS

Mar 13, 2017, 3:42:48 PM3/13/17
to Jenkins Developers
So as to avoid burning through version numbers with bad releases, i was wondering if there is a way to test to make sure everything will compile beforehand?

To publish the plugin we use:
mvn release:prepare release:perform

The documentation says that the jenkins credentials can be verified with:
mvn deploy

Is there any way to verify that the build will succeed?

Maybe (for maven)
mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true

and to make sure that the pull to GitHub won't have issues, just
ssh -T git@github.com

Or is there anything else that can be used?

Bruno P. Kinoshita

Mar 13, 2017, 4:41:24 PM3/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Normally I just run `mvn clean test`, or `mvn clean test firebug:firebug firebug:gui`. Then if everything works, I trust the mvn release:prepare & perform will work. If you are not confident it will work, you can try cutting an experimental release [1], which might be useful too if you'd like to deploy it to a test bed server. Just use -alpha in your version.

Hope that helps

[1] https://jenkins.io/blog/2013/09/23/experimental-plugins-update-center/

________________________________
So as to avoid burning through version numbers with bad releases, i was wondering if there is a way to test to make sure everything will compile beforehand?

To publish the plugin we use:

mvn release:prepare release:perform
The documentation says that the jenkins credentials can be verified with:mvn deploy
Is there any way to verify that the build will succeed?

Maybe (for maven)

mvn release:prepare -DdryRun=true
and to make sure that the pull to GitHub won't have issues, just
ssh -T g...@github.com

Or is there anything else that can be used?

Stephen Connolly

JordanGS

Mar 13, 2017, 5:34:38 PM3/13/17
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for the reply, not what i meant tho. I know the project compiles and builds fine but for whatever reason the command

mvn release:prepare release:perform

maybe due to a permission issue or it did the upload to maven but failed the git push. I was hoping for a sanity test for this.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:55:35 PM UTC-4, Stephen Connolly wrote:
Always good to run `mvn hpi:run` and give it some manual sanity checks first too
On 13 March 2017 at 20:37, 'Bruno P. Kinoshita' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Normally I just run `mvn clean test`, or `mvn clean test firebug:firebug firebug:gui`. Then if everything works, I trust the mvn release:prepare & perform will work. If you are not confident it will work, you can try cutting an experimental release [1], which might be useful too if you'd like to deploy it to a test bed server. Just use -alpha in your version.

Hope that helps

[1] https://jenkins.io/blog/2013/09/23/experimental-plugins-update-center/

________________________________

Christopher Orr

Mar 14, 2017, 6:35:20 PM3/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, at 22:34, JordanGS wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, not what i meant tho. I know the project compiles
> and
> builds fine but for whatever reason the command
>
> mvn release:prepare release:perform
>

> maybe due to a permission issue or it did the upload to maven but failed
> the git push. I was hoping for a sanity test for this.

Once you're ready to release, the most common issue is permissions, but
if you didn't have upload permission then you didn't burn a version
number. Just run perform again.

Everything is else is so rare or retryable that it's not worth worrying
about.

Regards,
Chris