Ideas Discussion: Tracing fingerprints (artifacts, credentials, docker images, etc.) across Jenkins Instances!

Sumit Sarin

Jul 13, 2020, 10:21:29 AM7/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Everyone!

I would like to start this thread to discuss some opinions and new ideas with the community regarding fingerprints and tracing.

We have been working on the Jenkins fingerprint engine, and we have made great progress so far. We have been able to make the Jenkins fingerprinting engine 'pluggable', which basically means that now the fingerprints created by Jenkins can be stored in the cloud, away from the local disk storage of Jenkins master. Currently we only have one plugin which can support this, which is powered by Redis.

One of the advantages we got out of this project was the ability to track fingerprints across instances. What this can help in achieving is tracking usage of artifacts, credentials, docker images, etc. across instances of Jenkins. We can leverage our current project to provide such functionalities. But doing so only makes sense if there is some need for it. Also, there can be other potential use cases that we may have missed. We would love to discuss ideas around this, which can benefit the Jenkins community.

More information about the project can be found on the project page and blog.

We would deeply appreciate suggestions and comments on this topic from the developer community, and potential areas where you think this project can help you or other Jenkins users.

Best Regards,
Sumit

Tim Jacomb

Jul 13, 2020, 10:59:35 AM7/13/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Great to see work being done on pluggable storage.

Personally I’ve never used the fingerprinting feature, but I assume / hope there’s people out there who are able to chime in.

Thanks
Tim