Upgrading remoting to Java 8

Oleg Nenashev

Jun 30, 2017, 9:05:46 AM6/30/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

A while a go I have created a ticket for upgrading Remoting to Java 8 (JENKINS-43985). I was waiting with this step, because 2.46.x LTS was Java 7 compatible. Now we have completely switched to Java 8 in 2.60.1, hence it is not a blocker anymore. So I would like to update the Java requirement in Remoting, especially since there is an interest to do it in order to use some Java 8 features (e.g. here).

Potential impact, edge cases:
  • If somebody uses custom Remoting versions (e.g. by downloading the latest version to pick fixes), such approach will stop working on Java 7. So, all users of Java 7 will have to do custom builds if they want to get Remoting fixes
  • Backporting of fixes (e.g. custom forks or security backports) may be complicated
  • Swarm Plugin's Client will have to update to Java 8 in order to bundle the new remoting version
Does anybody have any concerns about it?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg Nenashev

Mark Waite

Jul 2, 2017, 5:50:39 PM7/2/17
to Jenkins Developers

No concerns from me.

Daniel Beck

Jul 2, 2017, 6:18:30 PM7/2/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 30. Jun 2017, at 15:05, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Potential impact, edge cases:

What about graceful error handling of Java 7 instances, e.g. Maven plugin? IIRC from the 6-to-7 upgrade, the fallback mechanism to the lower JDK would be affected by this...?

Not that I care that much, Maven projects need to be burninated, but still -- if it's affected, we should at least be aware of it.

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 3, 2017, 4:54:06 AM7/3/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hi,

AFAIK there is no graceful handling of errors in the Maven project plugin. There was just a workaround which reconfigures Java settings, but it does not guarantee that Jenkins master will actually work. In the plugin's Wiki it is explicitly said that versions 2.54+ should be launched with Java 8 only, so I do not consider it as a problem.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 14, 2017, 10:34:45 AM7/14/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
I will add it to the governance meeting agenda along with another topics I would like to discuss

Jesse Glick

Jul 14, 2017, 2:58:25 PM7/14/17
to Jenkins Dev
It is a technical decision and there does not seem to be any pushback so I think you can just do it. No need to take up time during a governance meeting.

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 14, 2017, 3:51:53 PM7/14/17
to JenkinsCI Developers
I need it for other topics anyway

It is a technical decision and there does not seem to be any pushback so I think you can just do it. No need to take up time during a governance meeting.

Daniel Beck

Jul 14, 2017, 3:55:12 PM7/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 14. Jul 2017, at 20:58, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> It is a technical decision

Right; does not seem to be a project governance issue.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 3, 2017, 5:52:13 PM8/3/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Created https://github.com/jenkinsci/remoting/pull/184