Remote Parameterized Trigger Plugin

Kevin Phillips

May 16, 2017, 2:20:11 PM5/16/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to offer my assistance with the Remote Parameterized Trigger plugin project. There are a handful of issues and merge requests reported against the project, with minimal activity in recent months, and I think I could help move some of these forward.

I have extensive experience with the Jenkins REST API which I think would overlap nicely with this particular plugin.

If I could be granted commit access to this repo that would be great. I'm not sure if there is an official maintainer for the plugin, but if not I wouldn't mind adopting that responsibility as well.

My GitHub ID is TheFriendlyCoder, and my Jenkins account ID is leedega.

Kevin

Alexander Link

May 18, 2017, 10:59:55 AM5/18/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

we also recognized this project seems to be not maintained anymore (last change in August 2015, 19 unprocessed Pull Requests).
In the meantime we forked this GitHub repo, fixed some bugs, enabled it for usage in Pipelines, improved the Authentication, and released internal versions for use at SAP internally.
We tried to contribute some changes back, but no reaction on the PR.

What is your recommendation how to continue? One option for us would be to continue the internal fork, but that's not the preferred way.
The diff is quite big already btw. Creating single Pull Requests would be extremely cumbersome.

Thanks and kind regards,
Alex

Alexander Link
Development Expert, PI SAP HCP Engineering Services Production
SAP SE
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16, 69190 Walldorf, Germany
E Alexand...@sap.com

Daniel Beck

May 18, 2017, 2:10:02 PM5/18/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 18. May 2017, at 16:28, Alexander Link <alexand...@sap.com> wrote:
>
> What is your recommendation how to continue? One option for us would be to continue the internal fork, but that's not the preferred way.

Abandoned plugins can be taken over by new maintainers:

https://jenkins.io/project/governance/#helping-and-taking-over-dormant-plugins

Of course, just dropping a giant patch with dozens of changes on users is probably not a good idea, so if this is the way you'd like to proceed, consider whether you can land your changes incrementally.

Alexander Link

May 19, 2017, 1:47:11 AM5/19/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hello Daniel,

thanks for the information. We will discuss this and come back to you.

> Of course, just dropping a giant patch with dozens of changes on users is probably not a good idea, so if this is the way you'd like to proceed, consider whether you can land your changes incrementally.
Yes, you're right. We need to check how easy to consume PRs could be portioned.

best regards, Alex

Raphael Pionke

Jun 15, 2017, 4:09:10 AM6/15/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

is there any new activity with this plugin / repository?

Regards,
Raphael

Alejandra Ferreiro Vidal

Oct 18, 2017, 8:49:54 AM10/18/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I did prepare the following PR that enables the plugin for Jenkins 2.x Pipelines.

I would like to apologize because there is one big commit, but it is too much effort to split it.

This code is the work of many colleagues, especially I would like to thank the contribution to Alexander Link who was the main contributor.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Alejandra

Nabel Sawiris

Nov 28, 2017, 1:27:46 PM11/28/17
to Jenkins Developers
Did anyone ever get access to commit? I was hoping to request to be a maintainer as well. I found that the plugin was doing a fire and forget, so I fixed that with one of my pull requests. I also see pull request https://github.com/jenkinsci/parameterized-remote-trigger-plugin/pull/32 is pretty much ready to be commited.

Alejandra Ferreiro Vidal

Nov 29, 2017, 3:45:53 AM11/29/17
to Jenkins Developers

Hi Nabel,

There is no one committed to maintain this plugin. It would be great if you request to be a maintainer https://jenkins.io/project/governance/#helping-and-taking-over-dormant-plugins, and also if you merge the pull request https://github.com/jenkinsci/parameterized-remote-trigger-plugin/pull/32.

I did not get a reply for my last comment in this group. I think that if you have questions about taking over the plugin you could ask Daniel Beck (https://github.com/daniel-beck).

Best regards,
Alejandra

Daniel Beck

Nov 29, 2017, 8:48:14 AM11/29/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 29. Nov 2017, at 09:45, Alejandra Ferreiro Vidal <aferrei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I did not get a reply for my last comment in this group.

It didn't look like needing a response from anyone but eventual maintainers, and nobody has spoken up so far.

While Alejandra, a colleague of Alexander, dropped off their patch in https://github.com/jenkinsci/parameterized-remote-trigger-plugin/pull/32 (and me not realizing it's related to this thread…), it still needs someone to take over the responsibility to release and follow up on issues.

> I think that if you have questions about taking over the plugin you could ask Daniel Beck (https://github.com/daniel-beck).

I'm reading :-)

Nabel Sawiris

Nov 29, 2017, 11:48:26 AM11/29/17
to Jenkins Developers
I can be the maintainer, do I need to start a new thread?

GitHub and Jenkins Id are both: n360speed