Plugin adoption request: bitbucket-branch-source

Morten Hekkvang

Nov 18, 2020, 5:04:39 AM11/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I am a developer for SBAB Bank AB in Sweden. We are using this plugin a
lot, and have made some changes to it internally, but not in good shape for
sending PR's.

I would like to adopt the bitbucket-branch-source plugin

Now that this plugin is up for adoption, I would like to add some features
and integrate it more with the Bitbucket API and Bitbucket Server API.

Plugin: https://plugins.jenkins.io/cloudbees-bitbucket-branch-source/
Github user: https://github.com/artheus
Jenkins infrastructure account id: artheus

My Jenkins infra account is connected to this email address.

Some ideas I have for the plugin are:

   - Add a view in jenkins where users can add their projects one-by-one or
   in batches. This should use the bitbucket (cloud/server) API to list
   available projects.
   - Allowing jenkins to comment on PRs with more detailed build
   information, and accepting the PR if build is successful. This is for
   Bitbucket Server (and Bitbucket Cloud, if possible).
   - Giving users of the plugin the possibility to configure most of the
   hard-coded things in the plugin.

Sorrily I have yet to create any Pull-Requests to the plugin project. But I
will make sure to do so soon.

Best regards,
Morten Hekkvang
DevOps Engineer and Developer @ SBAB Bank AB

P.S. Looking forward to hearing from you regarding the plugin adoption
request

Dominik Bartholdi

Nov 18, 2020, 5:26:24 AM11/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hey Morton,

Cool to see someone is willing to take over this plugin…
Personally, I would not spend any time on supporting new features for "bitbucket server”.
Starting 2021 Atlassian will not sell any new Lizences for Bitbucket Server and EOL is February 2024 (https://www.atlassian.com/de/software/bitbucket/download).
Adding more features will mean we risk braking Bitbucket Cloud. In about three years the code should be removed again anyway...
New features are OK if they are supported by both products with the same code, but please don’t add anything for Bitbucket Server specifically anymore.
As we are using this plugin ourself, this is a real concern for us! …please don’t do it.

/Domi

Antonio Muñiz

Nov 18, 2020, 5:28:31 AM11/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
As a previous maintainer of the plugin, I'm fine with the request.
Thanks for taking over!

Antonio Muñiz
Human, Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

James Nord

Nov 18, 2020, 5:34:02 AM11/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
> Starting 2021 Atlassian will not sell any new Lizences for Bitbucket Server and EOL is February 2024 (https://www.atlassian.com/de/software/bitbucket/download).

AFAICT BitBucket DataCenter edition will still exist but you will require a DataCenter licence  (and have to cough up more $$$) and it is "supposed" to look and behave like a BitBucket Server (which may mean APIs - but I am not an 100% sure on this).

/James

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 18, 2020, 5:37:13 AM11/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
I am +1 for the ownership transition, especially after Antonio confirmed it.

I am not using BitBucket on my own, but it is an important part of the Jenkins ecosystem. It would be great to have someone to maintain the plugin actively. I second what Domi says about BitBucket Server/Cloud, new development should definitely take Cloud into consideration when possible, and Bitbucket Cloud users are encouraged to contribute and to provide feedback about changes suggested in the plugin. BitBucket server is still relevant for many users, and it is okay if someone delivers Server-only features when it is not possible to maintain both implementations easily. Let's just make sure that changes are done in an extensible way so that Cloud support can be added later.

Jesse Glick

Nov 18, 2020, 8:05:16 AM11/18/20
to Jenkins Dev, he...@2improveit.eu
Seems someone else has already requested to be a maintainer? (on CC)

https://github.com/jenkinsci/bitbucket-branch-source-plugin/issues/288#issuecomment-700675823

Generally speaking, it is best to start off by submitting small PRs
and getting them merged, to demonstrate familiarity with the current
implementation and build trust. More than new features, the plugin
really needs someone willing to verify behavior against current (and,
in the case of Server, old) BB versions, review open PRs and drive
them to either be merged or rejected, and triage open issues.