About - Simple Pull Request Plugin

Aytunc Beken

Feb 10, 2020, 5:05:01 AM2/10/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was planning to work on a new plugin for enabling Yaml files for Pipelines. However I found this plugin and it looks similar.

Does any one knows about it? Does is still continues ?

Thanks. Regards

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 10, 2020, 11:14:51 AM2/10/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

No ongoing work right now, but indeed there is a lot of interest in the community.
If you are interested to work on it, this is great!

Actually I am planning to submit a follow-up project idea for Google Summer of Code 2020. I have already referenced it in https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/pipeline-authoring-sig , but I have not announced it yet through official channels.
The draft idea is here: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/blob/ff5527bb98f1b28159f88894c9abbe346eeaf3d2/content/projects/gsoc/2020/project-ideas/pipeline-as-yaml-experiment.adoc
If you plan to work on this area in short-term, I will adjust my project idea accordingly.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 12, 2020, 7:26:47 AM2/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
UPD. I have officially submitted this project idea: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jenkins-pipeline-authoring-sig/Ko8KTEcK_vY and jenkins-infra/jenkins.io#2849

Hi Aytunc, what would be your plan there? the GSoC project idea does not block anyone from working on this area, but it might make sense to sync-up with other interested contributors.

Best regards,
Oleg

Aytunc Beken

Feb 12, 2020, 7:50:25 AM2/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

Thanks for the details. The projects which are proposed/developed are similar what I want to achieve. However, approach may differ.

What I planned was this:
 - Develop a Converter which will convert yml files to legacy declarative or scripted pipelines .
   Reason: Just wanted not to interfere with the core pipeline mechanism. A smart, well developed converter will be enough to make it work.
 - Develop a converter screen where uses can convert their declarative pipelines to yaml or vice versa.
   Reason: Users should not spend time to convert their legacy pipelines. UI converter will same lots of time.

How these sounds for you ? Not sure how much it is parallel within your mind.

Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 13, 2020, 2:35:51 PM2/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Aytunc,

Your approach is quite similar to what is documented in my project idea.
I went a bit beyond w.r.t implementation options, but the approach you suggest is one of the most straightforward ways to implement Pipeline as YAML.

 - Develop a Converter which will convert yml files to legacy declarative or scripted pipelines .
There is no legacy declarative or scripted pipelines :) . They keep evolving, and I do not think that YAML support is going to replace them anytime soon.
The converter approach makes total sense as a standalone solution,

Develop a converter screen where uses can convert their declarative pipelines to yaml or vice versa.
Would be great

Aytunc Beken

Feb 17, 2020, 2:04:47 PM2/17/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

Sorry for my late response. I think the requirements you defined will make plugin more usable. So I will try to also implement those requirements.
So I am planing to start working on this plugin. How should I proceed ?

Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 18, 2020, 5:18:10 AM2/18/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, Pham Vu Tuan
Since you follow the existing plugin design, IMHO it would be better to just keep extending it. It is in alpha now, so there is no compatibility requirements.

CC Vu Tuan who is the current maintainer

BR, Oleg

Aytunc Beken

Feb 18, 2020, 3:54:07 PM2/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

Nice to meet you Vu Tuan.

I have some doubts, may be you can help me understand things.

- Why the name of the plugin is different ? Also It says it is about pull requests from various version controls. If this plugin will continue focusing on both, It will be good to separate them.
- I was planing to use ModelASTPipelineDef (org.jenkinsci.plugins.pipeline.modeldefinition.ast) for converting Yaml to Jenkins and vice versa. As this is internal model of Declarative pipeline, It will be easy to maintain.

I will be glad if I can get your ideas/comment about these.

Thanks. Regards

Vu Tuan Pham

Feb 22, 2020, 8:13:34 AM2/22/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Aytunc,

Thank you for reaching out to me. To give you some context, I took over this project from a GSoC project (Google Summer of Code) from a student. He was unable to finish the project on time, so I decided to take it over after GSoC to see if I can continue working on it to bring it to official release (1.0). Unfortunately, due to time permit and some of my personal reasons, I haven't had time to maintain it over the past 2 years.

However, I can still help you my question at my best:
- At first, the intend was to integrate with multiple version control systems as it mentioned in the description of the repo https://github.com/jenkinsci/simple-pull-request-job-plugin. But overtime, I think the target shifted toward Pipeline as YAML, which the name of the plugin is not reflecting what it is doing.
- As I mentioned, iiuc, this project is no longer under development by anybody, so if you have any idea about a new project, you can always proceed ahead. If you think SPPR project is useful in some ways, you can also consider merging 2 projects, there is no restriction for you to do that.

To understand more about this project, you can watch these presentation videos during GSoC 2018 (can skip to SPPR plugin presentation):

cc @Martin d'Anjou, who is the mentor of this project during GSoC 2018. I think Martin can give you some insights on the project.
Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Vu Tuan

Aytunc Beken

Feb 22, 2020, 8:25:25 AM2/22/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Vu Tuan,

Thank you for the detailed information about the plugin. So in this situation, my suggestions are below.

- As the SPPR plugin is not developed any more and name of the plugin do match with its purpose, starting a new plugin for PAY ( Pipeline As Yaml) will be more accurate.
- Of course, I do not want to throw all the effort in the SPPR, I may use some of the codes from there, if it is okay ?
- @Oleg, I saw that this plugin is also selected for GSC 2020, I want to be sure that, writing this plugin will not affect GSC 2020 or any other Jenkins/Community Projects.

Thanks.

On Saturday, February 22, 2020 at 2:13:34 PM UTC+1, Vu Tuan Pham wrote:
[...]

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 24, 2020, 8:03:32 AM2/24/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Aytunc,

- Of course, I do not want to throw all the effort in the SPPR, I may use some of the codes from there, if it is okay ?
As long as you follow the MIT License requirements, sure.
You may also want to consider taking over this plugin or contributing to its codebase, but it is up to you.
Obviously, it would be great to have this new plugin as oprn-source.

- @Oleg, I saw that this plugin is also selected for GSC 2020, I want to be sure that, writing this plugin will not affect GSC 2020 or any other Jenkins/Community Projects

GSoC 2020 lists potential project ideas, it is not a problem if some ideas overlap with pending work. Students would need to consider the ongoing developments in their project proposals, and ideally to sync-up with stakeholders in the dev list.
It would be great to put a notice with a link to this thread so that potential applicants know there is ongoing parallel effort.

BR, Oleg

Aytunc Beken

Feb 25, 2020, 3:28:44 AM2/25/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

First I want to focus on this new Pipeline As Yaml Plugin. After that, I can work in this plugin (SPPR) also.

So thanks a lot for the support, I will start working on this plugin immediately.

Aytunc Beken

Feb 26, 2020, 11:18:11 AM2/26/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

Came to my mind after I saw the Gsoc Approval. If you want/need, I will be happy to support/help  you for mentoring this plugin.
I do not know what are the requirements for this, just wanted to say this.

Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 26, 2020, 1:45:38 PM2/26/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

Thanks for your interest! It would be great to work with you on this project

We have all the requirements documented here: https://jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/mentors/
It is a long read, https://jenkins.io/blog/2019/12/20/call-for-mentors/ is probably a quicker intro.
TL;DR: There is no need to make any commitment until April, but in summer GSoC mentorship may require around 5 hours per week, give or take.

Best regards,
Oleg

Aytunc Beken

Feb 28, 2020, 7:39:35 PM2/28/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

Thanks a lot. I read all the document, all seems fine. Just, I want to be sure, I understood that traveling or attending meetings physically is not required. If these are true, then please count me in :)

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 2, 2020, 5:32:45 AM3/2/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

GSoC is all remote, there is no traveling required.
There are some local meetups being organized, and Google also organizes a GSoC Mentor summit where orgs can send their delegates. But these events happen outside the main GSoC timeframe, and they are optional.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 11, 2020, 6:43:55 AM3/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
There is a Pipeline Authoring SIG meeting tomorrow at 2PM UTC. Does anyone want to use that slot to have a discussion of the project?