Changing terminology in French documentation

Coley Woyak

Jun 28, 2020, 1:18:33 PM6/28/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone,

I'm slowly but surely working on removing the word esclave in the French documentation.

I'm currently looking at plugins and would like some feedback before moving forward.

I see 12 different plugins. I'm thinking I need to make the changes one plugin at a time, resulting in 12 PRs. (thoughts?)
  1. command-launcher-plugin
  2. copy-to-slave-plugin
  3. credentials-plugin
  4. crittercism-dsym-plugin
  5. firefox-extension-buildmonitor
  6. inflectra-spira-integration-plugin
  7. maven-plugin
  8. stride-notification-plugin
  9. teamconcert-plugin
  10. weblogic-deployer-plugin
  11. windows-slaves-plugin
  12. worksoft-certify-process-runner-plugin
However, two plugins have the word slave in English in their name: (2) copy-to-slave-plugin and (11) windows-slaves-plugin. According to Oleg, they are artifactId (or pluginId) and there is not the support necessary to rename them at this time. Oleg also told me that references to the windows slaves have been changed to agents in the UI.

So, do I change esclave to agent everywhere, regardless of plugin name? Do I leave the references to these plugins as slave since that's the official name?
Thanks!
Coley

Mark Waite

Jun 28, 2020, 1:42:33 PM6/28/20
to jenkinsci-dev
In cases where a reference to the artifact ID is required (pom.xml, possibly a few others), then the artifact ID should be used for accuracy.  Those cases are relatively rare and are typically not the focus for users.

In most cases (especially in documentation), we should refer to the plugin by name rather than referring to it by artifact ID.  The name can be changed (as was done with WMI Windows Agents Plugin for Jenkins) while retaining the artifact ID.

If the plugin name uses deprecated terminology, then a pull request to the plugin to correct the name is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Coley