Re: Move stable/jenkins kubernetes chart to jenkinci GitHub org

Gavin Mogan

Aug 24, 2020, 3:30:15 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers, Jenkins Infrastructure
We've been fighting with the helm chart in #jenkins-infra all weekend.

Its a horrendous mess full of hacks by people who barely understand jenkins let alone k8s and helm.
Like for example, all plugins are downloaded every time, and thrown in a saved PVC, but never retrieved from there.
They are also saved into the jenkins ref directory, which is copied without overwriting into your install. Which means if it downloads a newer version of a plugin, it won't overwrite it.

I think it's worth making an official helm chart, but I don't think we should base it on the "helm/stable" one, maybe just take some of the useful features.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 12:18 PM Matt Sicker <msi...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
Based on repositories like https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker and
https://github.com/jenkinsci/kubernetes-operator I'd imagine that
jenkinsci is the perfect organization for this!

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM Torsten Walter <ma...@torstenwalter.de> wrote:

> Hi together,
>
> Maybe some of you have used the stable/jenkins helm chart to install our favorite CI tool in Kubernetes.
>
> At the moment is it hosted in the https://github.com/helm/charts repository, which is already in maintenance mode and all charts from there will be de-listed from the Helm Hub. And on Nov 13, 2020 the support for that repository will formally end, and the repo will be marked obsolete
>
> Therefor chart maintainers are currently moving charts to different organizations.
>
> I am one of the maintainers of the stable/jenkins chart and I am proposing to move it to https://github.com/jenkinsci. I find that to be the most fitting place as most of the jenkins plugins also reside there. It could help to continue supporting it in the future.
>
> Some data about the helm chart. Unfortunately, there seems to be no usage statistics to tell how many people are using it or how many downloads it has.
> I checked its git history and noticed that it's first git commit is already from September 2016 and that it received over 300 contributions from 181 contributors since then. An older version of it is even used in jenkins-x-platfrom.
>
> How could a migration look like? Ideally, we could get a repository and admin permission on it so that we could set everything up. I've seen https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/requesting-hosting/, but hosting a helm chart is a bit different than a Jenkins plugin. Also with the recent discussion about forked repositories in GitHub I am not sure if that's still the desired process or if it would be easier to just move a repository to the new org.
>
> So far I prepared a git repository https://github.com/torstenwalter/helm-charts which could either be moved or forked into the jenkinci org. It contains  the whole history of the helm chart. It's using Apache License 2.0, as that was used by the original repository.
> CI is set up using chart-releaser and chart-testing GitHub Actions.
>
> Let me know what you think of it and if a move to jenkinci GitHub org would be ok.
>
> Best regards
> Torsten Walter

Matt Sicker
Senior Software Engineer, CloudBees

Marky Jackson

Aug 24, 2020, 3:31:15 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers
I can help with this.

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

On Aug 24, 2020, at 12:30 PM, 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Infrastructure <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Infrastructure" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-infra/CAG%3D_Duswqk66igJ5z60JsibmwP2Qo8zk0TTrPvyWJKHhr-OqGw%40mail.gmail.com.