Re: Paying for Dockerhub pro plan

Tim Jacomb

Oct 30, 2020, 9:58:44 AM10/30/20
to Jenkins Developers, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Fixing infra mailing list cc

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 13:57, Tim Jacomb <timja...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 at 13:50, 'Olblak' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Everybody,

The Dockerhub policy change start on Sunday unfortunately I couldn't make significant progress on this.
Either by being sponsored by Docker or having a proper way to be reimbursed by LF.

I would like to pay (be reimbursed) for at least the first month and remove the none critical people in order to reduce the cost.

I would remove the following people:
* Kohsuke Kawaguchi
* Nicolas Deloof
* Baptiste Mathus
* Tyler Croy
* Carlos Sanchez
* Jesse Glick
* Michael Neale
* Oliver Gondza

Cheers

Olblak

Oct 30, 2020, 10:41:36 AM10/30/20
to Jenkins Developers ML, Jenkins Infrastructure
This would be 7$ per month paid for following users:
on Jenkinsci (21$)
* me
* oleg Nenashev
* jenkinsinfraadmin

I also would like to pay for jenkins-infra organisation for following people
on Jenkins-infra (21$)
* me
* Mark Waite
* jenkinsinfraadmin

I wouldn't pay for jenkinsci4eval

Again I more see this as a temporary solution while we find a better solution

> +1
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/0DB00077-3A87-4D90-B7AB-2BF1F553035B%40gmail.com.
>
> Attachments:
> * signature.asc

Marky Jackson

Oct 30, 2020, 10:43:33 AM10/30/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers ML
@Olblak,
I can help pay too.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Infrastructure" group.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-infra/f6b4014b-d3ad-44c0-8a8c-1ada957b7c1c%40www.fastmail.com.

signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 30, 2020, 10:49:42 AM10/30/20
to Jenkins Infrastructure, Jenkins Developers ML
Are you sure about "jenkinsci"? The main DockerHub org is "jenkins".
  1. We still have some stuff on the legacy "jenkinsci" org, most notably Blue Ocean images. I do not think we should keep paying for this account, but there might be some user impact. Docker installation guide cleanup PR in https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3852 should be merged ASAP.
  2. Could we also keep Mark Waite, Tim Jacomb and Alex Earl on the list for the jenkins org? There are official Docker image CI/CD flows on DockerHub, and a direct access might be needed to fix deliveries and/or to add new configurations.
For payments we should finally reimburse any personal payments from the Jenkins account. We can do it through SPI or CommunityBridge.

Best regards,
Oleg

Mark Waite

Oct 30, 2020, 10:57:45 AM10/30/20
to Jenkins Infrastructure, Jenkins Developers ML
+1 from me.  I've already registered a personal account with DockerHub for my email address.  Do we need to register me with the Jenkins org if I'm already paying them for an account myself?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Infrastructure" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-infra/f6b4014b-d3ad-44c0-8a8c-1ada957b7c1c%40www.fastmail.com.

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 30, 2020, 11:09:56 AM10/30/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers
LGTM. I'm not active anymore on the infra side these days.

Thanks

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Infrastructure" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-infra/CAH-3BifxsfSmBo2K%3D1T5whoHTsBQ0Ts3EpnZXHHrqgZkvFVfjQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Olblak

Oct 31, 2020, 4:16:12 AM10/31/20
to Jenkins Infrastructure, Jenkins Developers ML
Hi Everybody,

It seems that things are moving positively for us on the sponsoring program side. I just received this email from Docker.
Obviously I asked to move forward with our application but at this stage, I don't know when it will be effective.

Anyway I am going to do some clean up in the Dockerhub organisation member.

Cheers

Hello Olivier,

Congratulations! After reviewing your submission for the Docker Open Source Community Application, we are pleased to inform you that we are moving forward with your application.  We appreciate your taking the time to fill out this application, and apologize that it has taken us this long to get back to you.  The policies that we announced in August will create a significant impact for the entire Docker community, and we thank you for your patience as we went through the process of learning how these policies affect the different cohorts within our community.

Docker New Image Retention and Data Egress Policies

In August, we announced to our dedicated community that we are creating new policies for image retention and data pull rates.  We made these changes to make Docker a sustainable business for the long term, so that we can continue supporting the community and ecosystem that depends on the Docker platform.  We got great feedback from our extensive user base, and adjusted our policies to suspend the policies on image retention.  The plan for data pull rates is moving forward, and starting on Nov 2 -

  • Unauthenticated users will be restricted to 100 pulls every 6 hours

  • Authenticated free users will be restricted to 200 pulls every 6 hours

Docker Open Source Policy

Docker remains highly committed to providing a platform where the non-commercial open source developers can continue collaborating, innovating and pushing this industry into new directions.  For the approved, non-commercial, open source namespaces, Docker will suspend data pull rate restrictions, with no egress restrictions applying to any Docker users pulling images from those namespaces

Open Source Qualification Criteria

To qualify for the Open Source Project status, all the repos within the Publisher’s Docker namespace must -

  • Be non-commercial

  • Meet the Open Source Initiative definition (defined here), including definitions for

    • Free distribution, source code, derived works, integrity of source code, licensing and no tolerance for discrimination

  • Be distributed through public repos

  • Distribute images under OSI approved open source license

  • Produce Docker images used to run applications

Review and Approval

The process for applying for Open Source status is summarized below -

  • The Publisher submits the Open Source Community Application form

  • Docker reviews the form, and determines if the Publisher qualifies for open source status.

    • If the Partner qualifies, Docker will waive the pull rate policy for the Publisher’s namespace, for a period of one year

  • Every 12 months, Docker will review if the Publisher’s namespace qualifies with the Docker Open Source project criteria, and extend the Open Source project status for another 12 months.

  • Docker may, at its discretion, also review eligibility criteria within the 12-months period

  • The publisher may have other namespaces, that either partially comply or do not comply with open source policy requirements, and therefore, will not qualify for open source status

Joint Marketing Programs

While the publisher retains the Open Source project status, the Publisher agrees to -

  • Become a Docker public reference for press releases, blogs, webinars, etc

  • Create joint blogs, webinars and other marketing content

  • Create explicit links to their Docker Hub repos, with no ‘wrapping’ or hiding sources of their images

  • Document that Docker Engine or Docker Desktop are required to run their whitelisted images

  • Give Docker full attribution

Please let me know if you have any questions on anything in this letter.

Please reply to this email if your open source project complies with the above criteria, and if you would like to move forward with your Docker Open Source Project.

Thank you for all your support for Docker and the Docker community.

Many thanks

William Quiviger

Sr. Community Relations Manager

Olblak

Nov 2, 2020, 2:22:57 AM11/2/20
to Jenkins Infrastructure, Jenkins Developers ML
Hey,
Considering that the Dockerhub sponsoring way is ongoing, I didn't pay for anythin  and  I prepare to wait few days.
So if something goes wrong, we know where to look

Richard Bywater

Nov 2, 2020, 3:25:20 AM11/2/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers ML
Not sure if it's just me, but does "Document that Docker Engine or Docker Desktop are required to run their whitelisted images" concern anyone else?

I mean as a supplier who is providing "free" stuff to an open source project I agree they should get full attribution etc. for providing their services, but having to document something which says that using Docker products is required to run the images seems a bit anti-competitive.

Perhaps it's just me having a bad day or reading way too much into it :)

Richard.

Olblak

Nov 4, 2020, 8:26:34 AM11/4/20
to Jenkins Developers ML, Jenkins Infrastructure
Quick update here, the sponsoring plan has been validated on Docker side but atm there is nothing on the inferface which tell that we are using an OSS plan.

Regarding, the "Document that Docker Engine or Docker Desktop are required to run their whitelisted images", I have been told that's it's an issue.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020, at 11:31 AM, 'Olblak' via Jenkins Developers wrote:
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your input, you are raising a good concern which need clarification. I'll ask the question and I'll share what I found here once I get it.