Making JATOS experiment compatible with cellphones (Iphone, Android).

Adam

Dec 1, 2020, 10:42:13 AM12/1/20
to JATOS
Hi,

I constructed a questionnaire on LimeSurvey, and at the end, there is a link to continue the study on JATOS for the experimental task. Although, when I try to click on the link on my cellphone (Iphone), it says that it can't be loaded. I tried using a general single worker link and a general multiple user link, and both didn't work. Can you help me with this problem?

Best regards,

Adam

Elisa Filevich

Dec 1, 2020, 10:52:13 AM12/1/20
to JATOS
Hi,

JATOS doesn't restrict the kind of browser, so in principle, if your JavaScript allows it, you should be able to access the study anywhere.
Does this work on a computer-based browser? Does it also work with safari on a laptop?
I'm not sure this will work, but try:
-In the console, check if there are any more informative errors and let us know

Best
Elisa

Adam

Dec 1, 2020, 10:08:49 PM12/1/20
to JATOS
Hi,

Here is the message that appears when I try to open the link on my cellphone: This page isn't available. The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been deleted. The experiment does work on my laptop when I click on the link, but I don't know yet if it works on safari on a laptop. I tried to do what you told me and it works, but only as long as my JATOS loader is on. When it's off, the same thing happens (page isn't available). I'm very new to programming, so I have no idea how to fix this. What do you mean when you say if my JavaScript allows it?

Thank you for your time,

Adam

Elisa Filevich

Dec 2, 2020, 5:40:05 AM12/2/20
to ja...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adam,

I understand now. You seem to be running JATOS locally. That means that you've started the program on your computer alone. That's why, when you click on the study link from within your own computer, you can access it. But this is not visible or accessible to any device outside your computer, like your mobile phone or anybody else for that matter. You haven't opened it to the net.

You have a few options to do that, which one you choose should depend on what exactly you need to do with your study:
- Ask your university to provide a server (this requires some knowledge of internet technologies, so you'll have to ask your IT admins http://www.jatos.org/JATOS-on-a-server.html)
- Get your own cloud-based server  (e.g. http://www.jatos.org/JATOS-on-DigitalOcean.html)
- Open your computer to the internet (http://www.jatos.org/Expose-your-local-JATOS.html