Who is using JanusGraph in production?

Jimmy

Apr 7, 2017, 9:15:31 AM4/7/17
to JanusGraph users list
Lovely and promising project! I want to know if anyone is using JanusGraph in production at present?Thanks!

Marcelo Freitas

Apr 18, 2017, 9:21:48 PM4/18/17
to JanusGraph users list
since we don't have the first release yet, I hope no one. lol

We (where I work) are planing on switching from Titan to JanusGraph as soon as it gets released. We already moved some of our code to newer Gremlin and JanusGraph libraries and everything seems fine so far.

Regards.

Misha Brukman

May 2, 2017, 1:48:26 PM5/2/17
to Jimmy, JanusGraph users list

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:03 AM, Jimmy <xuliuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Lovely and promising project! I want to know if anyone is using JanusGraph in production at present?Thanks!

Misha Brukman

May 26, 2017, 5:29:57 PM5/26/17
to Jimmy, JanusGraph users list
Hi Jimmy,

I started building a list of companies using JanusGraph in production; you can see the current list here: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph#users (and the logos at the bottom of http://janusgraph.org) and more additions are on the way.

They appear to be happy with JanusGraph, but I'll let them chime in if they want to provide any additional details.

BTW, if anyone else is a production user of JanusGraph, please get in touch with me and let's get you added on the list as well!

Misha

Liu-Cheng Xu

May 27, 2017, 8:13:17 AM5/27/17
to Misha Brukman, JanusGraph users list
Great! Thank you for your work!

Misha Brukman <mbru...@google.com>于2017年5月27日周六 上午5:29写道:

Liu-Cheng Xu

Michael Markieta

Jun 5, 2017, 2:46:20 PM6/5/17
to JanusGraph users list, mbru...@google.com
It would be great if the current user list also said a little bit about how they use it. It's impossible to tell how FiNQ and Seeq are using JanusGraph. We would benefit from having case study like material for others to look at (in due time).

Misha Brukman

Jun 5, 2017, 2:53:37 PM6/5/17
to Michael Markieta, JanusGraph users list
Great point! I welcome case studies and in-depth descriptions, but those take a significant effort to write as well as get approved by appropriate PR/Legal/etc. departments, so while I am always advocating for these, it's not always going to be possible.

In the meantime, here's one from CELUM (will be added shortly to the website): https://www.celum.com/en/graph-driven-and-reactive-architecture and I hope we'll be adding more of these in the future.

Tunay Gür

Jun 6, 2017, 6:47:40 PM6/6/17
to JanusGraph users list, marki...@gmail.com
We are (uber) using JG in production at the moment. We're recently started to contribute some of our code back and it's in plan to publish our learnings, benchmarks etc as series of blog posts.

Liu-Cheng Xu

Jun 7, 2017, 6:31:57 AM6/7/17
to Tunay Gür, JanusGraph users list, marki...@gmail.com
Awesome! Could you also share the links here when ready?

Tunay Gür <tuna...@gmail.com>于2017年6月7日周三 上午6:47写道:
--
Liu-Cheng Xu

Kelvin Lawrence

Jun 29, 2017, 10:48:56 AM6/29/17
to JanusGraph users list
Hi Jimmy, as you would expect, here at IBM we have a lot of projects underway that will use Janus Graph.

I try not to do product ads on open source lists but for sure we are adopters in fact I have the Gremlin console up in front of me connected to a Janus graph as I type this :-)

Cheers,
Kelvin

ngrig...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 11:30:40 AM7/4/17
to JanusGraph users list
We are going with titan-1.0.0 for now as (correct me if I am wrong) JG does not have a stable release yet.

Misha Brukman

Jul 4, 2017, 6:28:17 PM7/4/17
to ngrig...@gmail.com, JanusGraph users list
Hi Nikolai,

Can you please define what you mean by "stable release"? Are you looking for a 1.0 release? That's probably not happening for a while — the next release's version will be 0.2.0.

That said, you're running Titan 1.0 — note that JanusGraph 0.1.0 forked from the (unreleased) Titan 1.1 branch, and has upgraded a number of dependencies and added a number of changes and bug fixes, so it's already well ahead of Titan 1.0, rather than a new from-scratch project. While it's true that in most projects, 0.x versions are considered "development" and not for production use cases, in this particular case of JanusGraph, the version number is not nearly as important given the project's heritage.

Here's an incomplete list of companies who are already running JanusGraph in production (i.e., companies that have publicly stated that they are and agreed to be listed):
and more are coming soon.

Hope this helps,
Misha

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM, <ngrig...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are going with titan-1.0.0 for now as (correct me if I am wrong) JG does not have a stable release yet.

Nikolai Grigoriev

Jul 4, 2017, 11:12:24 PM7/4/17
to Misha Brukman, JanusGraph users list
Hi Misha,

I think I misused the word "stable" - it is all relative in software in general and large open-source projects in particular. And, of course, it is not all about a nice number like 1.0.

I knew that JanusGraph has been forked from relatively stable branch of Titian. I am looking at it from pragmatic point of view of someone who did not diff Titan 1.0 and latest JanusGraph release. There are some bugfixes but surely there may be new issues introduced and not yet found :) What makes the choice even more difficult is that I understand that it is my (as everyone's else) job to actually find, report and, if possible, fix these issues ;)

Anyway, I am trying to decide now: if I was happy about the state of Titan 1.0.0 and I would go to production with it, say, 6 months ago - should I consider JanusGraph instead of it now or not? I have not seen any kind of release strategy for JanusGraph yet. I think it would be a good idea to openly state the priorities for JanusGraph development. Is it more about converging on a relatively bug-free release with critical and low-risk bugfixes first and then going forward with breaking changes after that (or in parallel)? Or it is something else?

I think, personally, as Titan/JanusGraph user I would like to see the completion of Titan 1.1 work as JanusGraph release and then future development.

--
Nikolai Grigoriev
(514) 772-5178

Jason Plurad

Jul 6, 2017, 4:22:44 PM7/6/17
to JanusGraph users list, mbru...@google.com
Hi Nikolai,

If you're happy with Titan 1.0 and you are comfortable putting it into production and supporting it by yourself, I'd say go for it. There are folks out there with Titan 1.0 in production. They are likely maintaining private forks with any fixes they needed and applied themselves.

>  I would like to see the completion of Titan 1.1 work as JanusGraph release and then future development.

Are there specific functions in Titan 1.1 you were waiting on? If so, I'd suggest opening up issues on the JanusGraph tracker. We didn't copy over all of the open issues from the Titan issue tracker. As far as I can recall, the Aurelius crew didn't publish any specific roadmap of features for Titan 1.1. DataStax owns Titan, so it would be up to them to publish a Titan 1.1 release, however they made it abundantly clear they were not interested in doing so.

In addition to an open community with open governance, a major goal of the JanusGraph project was to consolidate private forks from other in the community so we can easily migrate existing Titan users and continue forward with a single codebase. Misha mentioned that JanusGraph is forked directly from the latest Titan 1.1 development branch, so JanusGraph is essentially a continuation of Titan. As a consumer, you benefit from code fixes and features provided by others in the community. And there have been many fixes put in already! Development priorities have been mostly around upgrading dependencies in that had gone stale because Titan had been out of development for a long time. Pretty much all of the core dependencies (TinkerPop, Cassandra, HBase, BerkeleyJE, Elasticsearch, Solr, Lucene) have been updated to work with recent versions. There is work going on to improve the test suite to ensure we have a solid platform before introducing significant breaking changes.

> There are some bugfixes but surely there may be new issues introduced and not yet found :)

True of any software project, open source or not.

> What makes the choice even more difficult is that I understand that it is my (as everyone's else) job to actually find, report and, if possible, fix these issues ;)

That's ideal state for any open source software project. But even if you can't fix it yourself, reporting it is a solid contribution regardless. If the bug is significant enough, others are likely running into it and would be motivated to help fix it. If you stick with Titan, there's little point in reporting it publicly since it doesn't appear that DataStax will fix that codebase publicly anymore. The burden would be all on you.

-- Jason

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM, ngrigoriev wrote:
We are going with titan-1.0.0 for now as (correct me if I am wrong) JG does not have a stable release yet.

Rainer Pichler

Jul 7, 2017, 10:56:42 AM7/7/17
to JanusGraph users list
Hi,

we at CELUM released another blog post. It describes how we fetch data from JanusGraph via an intermediate query language right from our front-end: https://www.celum.com/en/blog/technology/a-querys-quest

Besides a small glitch at upgrading from JanusGraph 0.1.0 to 0.1.1 on Cassandra during development (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/janusgraph-users/RU47QLGAVck), it works fine. Also, the support of a more recent Apache Tinkerpop version compared to Titan helps us a lot.

Feel free to contact me if you have further questions or suggestions.

-Rainer Pichler
https://twitter.com/rainerpichler

zhxian...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2019, 10:57:17 PM1/22/19
to JanusGraph users
Would you like to share the situation information? I also want to use janusgraph in production 😄

Rainer Pichler

Jan 23, 2019, 2:40:22 PM1/23/19
to JanusGraph users
Hello Zhou,

an update from our side:

A general intro to JanusGraph and Gremiln: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5532&v=9ZXCHqip84Q
A follow-up blog post on how we implemented type-safe queries on top of this stack: https://www.celum.com/de/blog/type-safe-graph-queries
I also was invited to Connected Data London 2018 to talk about "Building a production-ready, graph-based enterprise application in the cloud" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3g2DxpOn3A

Best regards
Rainer

Nikolai Grigoriev

Jan 23, 2019, 2:55:36 PM1/23/19
to JanusGraph users list
Hello,

We were very close from actually building a cool cloud service backed by JG on AWS, using DynamoDB as storage backend and AWS ES service as indexing backend. Unfortunately, there was a business event before we could finish the product that resulted in a change of direction for the product and loss of some key expertise. Pretty sad, it was a great fit for the original product goals and very promising and future-proof platform to build on.

I would not hesitate to recommend JG for the products that need a very flexible and rich storage model that is too much for a relational data model and too complex to be implemented using "traditional" ;) non-relational storage engines (HBase, C* etc). At the same time, operating JG as a production OLTP database does require certain boldness and expertise.