Janusgraph Hbase as a managed service

Dilan Ranasinghe

Nov 6, 2017, 11:52:23 PM11/6/17
to JanusGraph users
Hi,

I would like to know is there any organization who provides support for Janusgraph with Hbase back-end as a managed service?

Thanks and regards,
Dilan.

Jerry He

Nov 7, 2017, 7:54:16 PM11/7/17
to Dilan Ranasinghe, JanusGraph users
Hi, Dilan

Are you looking for one and looking to provide one?
Since it'll be a managed janusGraph service, is there any particular
reason why you care and are looking into HBase as the backing store?

Thanks,

Jerry

Dilan Ranasinghe

Nov 8, 2017, 5:33:38 AM11/8/17
to JanusGraph users
Hi Jerry,

We are at the initial stage of evaluating the feasibility of Janusgraph for a project and it matches well for our scenario.
What our concern is getting support in case we need it.
So getting Janusgraph as a managed service is an option we are currently considering on.
For the question regarding Hbase, we are already using Hbase in our company for a quite a lot of applications and it has become a norm. So we prefer to use it as the back-end rather than going for another technology.

Thanks,
Dilan.

Misha Brukman

Nov 21, 2017, 1:47:40 AM11/21/17
to Dilan Ranasinghe, JanusGraph users
Hi Dilan,

Just to clarify, which of the following options best describes your desired end state?
  • you want to run HBase + JanusGraph yourself, but with a support option in case you run into issues
  • you want to run HBase yourself, and with a fully-managed JanusGraph service on top of it
  • you want a fully-managed JanusGraph service, backed by HBase
Each of those is a slightly different approach. The first one can be solved with consulting/support contract from one of the independent consultants or companies that support JanusGraph (there are a few are on this list). I'm not aware of any services that provide the 2nd or 3rd option.

The services I'm aware of in this space, none of which are match all of the above requirements are as follows:
  • managed JanusGraph on top of ScyllaDB by IBM's Compose team
  • managed HBase by Qubole (but you'll have to manage JanusGraph yourself)
  • managed Bigtable which has an HBase-compatible API (but you'll have to manage JanusGraph yourself)
    • disclaimer: I'm the product manager for Bigtable
Misha

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/janusgraph-users/8be99233-57ec-47c3-b9a4-1f3359491eb9%40googlegroups.com.