Would you use a JanusGraph-like API as a service?

Ryan Stauffer

Feb 28, 2020, 4:17:27 PM2/28/20
to JanusGraph users
Just a quick thought experiment to put out to the fine folks in this group...

Would you use a "JanusGraph-as-a-Service" offering that works as follows:
  • You're given WebSocket and HTTP endpoints, which you can use to issue Gremlin traversals from any host language or REST client of your choice.
  • You can easily retrieve summary counts of the data you've stored by label and/or property
  • The underlying infrastructure and storage & search backends are transparent, so you don't manage RAM, disk, compute, storage backups, etc
  • You get SLAs regarding latency and throughput based on common workloads.
The idea is to minimize the hurdles to get started building and USING property graphs at scale.  Right now, it's tricky up and down the stack (node sizing, cluster sizing, pluggable backend selection, etc).  I'm just curious how everyone would feel if you DIDN'T have to think about these questions at all, and simply paid a price based on API calls and the total amount of data you're storing.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Ryan

dk.g...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2020, 8:15:35 AM4/3/20
to JanusGraph users
Hi Ryan,

This sounds similar to existing IBM offering: https://www.ibm.com/cloud/compose/janusgraph - does your thought experiment involve building an alternative service?

Also when you mention "Janusgraph-like API" - do you mean tinkerpop? If so, I believe there are more hosted tinkerpop-compatible graph dbs out there, and yet more non-tinkerpop ones.

For example AFAIK the original authors of Titan (on which Janusgraph is based) went on to build this: https://www.datastax.com/products/datastax-graph

Not sure if any of those have a free tier for people to play without paying the price neither in $$$ nor in time to set up smth like JG themselves, but then your thought experiment is probably designed to gauge interest in (another) paid-for service?

Ryan Stauffer

Apr 3, 2020, 10:24:17 PM4/3/20
to janusgra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your thoughts.

To answer your questions:
- IBM Compose, unfortunately, does not appear to have a long time to remain as a supported concern of IBM (at least that's what I've come to understand from conversations with IBM PMs), so it would be tough to greenfield a new project on that service.
- By Janusgraph-like-API (vs TinkerPop), I'm referring to the explicit schema support and patterns for indexing that are defined as part of JanusGraph, as opposed to the more generic and flexible graph computing framework provided by TP.
- Most existing managed graph DB services still require a decent bit of understanding of cluster sizing, etc, upfront, as opposed to a purer "serverless" model, like Google Firestore or BigQuery for that matter.
- Yes, the Titan / TP folks built DSE Graph
- Really just gauging if anyone else is even looking for this thing.  I've looked for one that meets this "serverless" mindset, and it's tough to find.

Thanks,
Ryan

Chen Wu

Jun 18, 2020, 11:37:12 AM6/18/20
to JanusGraph users
Yes its' an interesting and topic but I can't find any information about this except the IBM Compose.

在 2020年2月29日星期六 UTC+8上午5:17:27,Ryan Stauffer写道:

Chen Wu