[PROPOSAL] new repository for .NET driver

Jason Plurad

Jul 28, 2018, 11:06:10 AM7/28/18
to JanusGraph developers
Florian Hockmann is ready to contribute a .NET driver for JanusGraph. The pull request is currently found  in the main janusgraph repo.

The driver extends the TinkerPop .NET driver with additional capability for JanusGraph types and predicates. In a previous dev list discussion thread, he and I discussed making a separate repository for this body of work. I propose the name janusgraph-dotnet for the repository.

Let's give it 72 hours for lazy consensus.

I'm +1 for this. Looking forward to getting better driver support as part of the broader project.

Debasish Kanhar

Jul 29, 2018, 12:04:34 PM7/29/18
to JanusGraph developers
+1 from my side :-) Really like the idea here :-)

Misha Brukman

Jul 31, 2018, 2:47:11 PM7/31/18
to Jason Plurad, JanusGraph developers
+1

Makes sense that client libraries should be in a separate repo than the server:
  • enables a separate release cadence
  • allows for a different set of maintainers, even in the same org
  • each client library will be written in a different language
Having said that, this means that we'll have to keep track of version compatibilities between client library versions + server versions. Hopefully, they will be mostly backwards-compatible until a major version change.

Florian Hockmann

Aug 5, 2018, 9:25:48 AM8/5/18
to JanusGraph developers
Looks like we have reached consensus here. I have already created a stand-alone version of the library in its own repo:

I can create a PR to transfer it to JanusGraph as soon as we have a repo ready to target the PR against.

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Jason Plurad <plu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Florian Hockmann is ready to contribute a .NET driver for JanusGraph. The pull request is currently found  in the main janusgraph repo.

The driver extends the TinkerPop .NET driver with additional capability for JanusGraph types and predicates. In a previous dev list discussion thread, he and I discussed making a separate repository for this body of work. I propose the name janusgraph-dotnet for the repository.

Let's give it 72 hours for lazy consensus.

I'm +1 for this. Looking forward to getting better driver support as part of the broader project.

Jason Plurad

Aug 14, 2018, 6:45:27 PM8/14/18
to JanusGraph developers
Apologies for the delay, but I've created

* https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-dotnet
* https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-python

Committers and maintainers should have access to it.

Florian Hockmann

Aug 15, 2018, 7:11:45 AM8/15/18
to JanusGraph developers
Looks like I don't have access to it. At least I can't see its settings or anything. Do I need to be member of the JanusGraph org for that?

Jason Plurad

Aug 15, 2018, 9:40:12 AM8/15/18
to JanusGraph developers
You're right, we'll get you updated on that list.

Florian Hockmann

Aug 15, 2018, 2:18:30 PM8/15/18
to JanusGraph developers
Thanks, I'm now member of the group and apparently have write access to all JanusGraph repos, except for the two new ones: janusgraph-dotnet and janusgraph-python. I get permission denied when I try to push something there and I also can't set an assignee in the New Issue dialogue which should be possible with write access (this works now for the other repos). Could you please check the permissions again for the two repos?

Jason Plurad

Aug 16, 2018, 11:11:10 AM8/16/18
to JanusGraph developers
Doh, yet another GitHub setting update was required. Should be correct now.

Misha Brukman

Aug 16, 2018, 11:48:55 AM8/16/18
to Jason Plurad, JanusGraph developers
I'll populate the new JanusGraph repos with boilerplate license + DCO + Authors/contributors files, and then please feel free to follow the PR approach to bring in the code (and update copyright, etc.).

Thanks!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/janusgraph-dev/ec1b50bd-a22f-4f73-81c7-8fe7206dff87%40googlegroups.com.

Misha Brukman

Aug 16, 2018, 11:57:16 AM8/16/18
to Jason Plurad, Florian Hockmann, JanusGraph developers
Hi Florian,

Please feel free to open PRs on https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-dotnet and update the authors/contributors accordingly in addition to other files (readme).

I've also activated https://travis-ci.org/JanusGraph/janusgraph-dotnet so it should run Travis CI if you include .travis.yml file in your initial PR.

Thanks,
Misha

Florian Hockmann

Aug 16, 2018, 3:11:27 PM8/16/18
to Misha Brukman, Jason Plurad, JanusGraph developers
Thanks Misha!

I just created the initial PR: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph-dotnet/pull/1

Debasish Kanhar

Sep 2, 2018, 5:44:59 AM9/2/18
to JanusGraph developers
@Jason:

I created a initial PR#2 to merge my codebase into official JanusGraph-Python repo you created. While the PR was successful, I wasn't able to add any reviewers, you or Florian or Misha. I'll need your inputs regarding copyright statements, liscence texts and other legal/similar formalities as well as other comments.

Also, had a query regarding status of merging fix #1060 into 0.2 stream of branched for JanusGraph, and if needed, I can work on it as that is currently only merged into master and 0.3. The discussion here will need your comments too :-)

Thanks.