Janusgraph functionality issue

shivain...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2020, 9:20:04 AM6/8/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi,

I have noticed a corruption in index after reindexing vertex-centric indices with direction 'IN'.

Issue : A self-link is getting added to every vertex after reindexing.

To demonstrate this, I have taken a very small graph consists of two vertices (A & B) and one edge connecting the two.
Edge Label -> link
Edge has one property key (Integer) -> assocKind

//Creating the Vertex Centrix Index
gremlin > edgeLabel = mgmt.getEdgeLabel("link");
gremlin > assocKind= mgmt.getPropertyKey("assocKind")
gremlin > mgmt.buildEdgeIndex(edgeLabel, "myVertexCentricIndex", Direction.IN, assocKind);

Please note i have given the direction IN for the index.

//Creating the Edge from A to B: (a and b are vertices)
a.addEdge("link",b,"assocKind",1)

Output Before Reindexing :
gremlin> g.V().has('name' , 'A').inE().hasLabel('link').has('assocKind',1)
//no IN edges to vertex A  Correct

gremlin> g.V().has('name' , 'A').outE().hasLabel('link').has('assocKind',1)
==>e[4e1f-b6g-1bit-1pqw][14488-link->80024]   Correct

Now I ran the reindex command
// 'index' is the vertex centric index which is created above
gremlin> m.updateIndex(index, SchemaAction.REINDEX).get()

Output After Reindexing :
gremlin> g.V().has('_objId','A').inE().hasLabel('link').has('assocKind',1)
==>e[4e1f-b6g-1bit-b6g][14488-link->14488] Wrong

gremlin> g.V().has('_objId','A').bothE().hasLabel('link').has('assocKind',1)
==>e[4e1f-b6g-1bit-1pqw][14488-link->80024]
==>e[4e1f-b6g-1bit-b6g][14488-link->14488] Unexpected Link

This issue happens in janusgraph 0.5.2 also.

Thanks
Shiva

shivain...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2020, 5:40:50 AM6/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hello Everyone,

I have found the root cause for this issue and also have the fix for the same.

Please guide me if I can contribute for this project as I'm new to this community.

Thanks
Shiva

Dmitry Kovalev

Jun 11, 2020, 6:17:50 AM6/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Shiva,

Thanks for taking time to dive into the issue and deciding to contribute.

Please have a look at this page: https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md - it describes the steps to contribute, which are pretty standard.

Thanks,
Dmitry

Dmitry Kovalev

Jun 11, 2020, 11:02:25 AM6/11/20
to JanusGraph developers
BTW, the doc suggests that you start with signing the CLA before forking and raising pull request. In case of individual contribution this is easy and fast, but for corporate route (which I am guessing you have to go through) it can be a long and unexciting part of contribution process.

Likewise, getting your changes to be reviewed can also take time, depending on how big and complex your change is, and how many people are familiar enough with that part of code.

So I suggest that you raise the PR as early in the process as possible, and the CLA bit can catch up (while it's still obviously required before your contribution can be finally accepted)

shivain...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2020, 2:58:30 AM6/14/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Dmitry,

 Thank you for the information.
 I will raise the PR as soon as possible.

Regards
Shiva

shivain...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2020, 4:37:21 AM6/30/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Dmitry,

We have submitted a pull request and it got failed in CLA process.

Our companies CLA Signatory raised a request to act as a CLA Manager from our company for this project.
But the request got stuck at 'Awaiting Approval' since last few days. (Attached screenshot for reference)

Could you please help us on this issue.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.49.21 AM.png

Dmitry Kovalev

Jun 30, 2020, 8:10:48 AM6/30/20
to JanusGraph developers
Hi Shiva,

unfortunately I can't help much on the CLA front, I am basically just your fellow contributor and don't manage CLAs. If you want to chase this specific item, probably the best place is  janusgr...@googlegroups.com as suggested in the doc I posted the link to before.

Generally speaking, this project is supported by volunteers in their spare time, there doesn't seem to be anyone sponsored to work on it full time, so there may be any number of reasons for the delay in response to your contribution and CLA request. People could be just busy with their full-time work, or being affected by epidemic, or just having nice summer time off etc.

Similarly, when it comes to reviewing the actual contribution, many people (me included) get involved only occasionally, if they happen to be familiar with the relevant part of the codebase, or affected by the particular issue your contribution addresses.  So it may take some time until a "more involved" team member can look at it and dig into the details.

Having been "in your shoes" before, I understand that delays may not exactly fill you with enthusiasm, but be assured that they don't mean your contribution is not appreciated - it will get looked at, and if it does add value, it will be merged eventually.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/janusgraph-dev/4db2f58b-cd2d-406e-a6bb-bfb14e91b6edo%40googlegroups.com.