[VOTE] Removing support for backends that are EOL

Florian Hockmann

Feb 21, 2019, 9:42:00 AM2/21/19
to JanusGraph developers
Hi,

Jan already suggested in another discussion thread that we remove all support (code, tests, and docs) for backend versions that are already end of life (EOL).

He listed these versions there:
On top of that, it looks like the lowest still supported version of HBase is 1.2.10: https://hbase.apache.org/downloads.html
So, we can drop support for HBase 0.98.z - 1.1.z.

I suggest that we remove support for these version for the upcoming 0.4.0 release (or 0.5.0 if we want to release 0.4.0 before that).

If we agree on that, then I further suggest that we make it our policy to remove support for versions of backends that aren't supported any more so we don't need further discussions for this matter in the future every time we want to drop support for a version.

Please respond with your vote on whether we should remove support for these unsupported backend versions or not and whether we further want to make this our general policy from now on.

Oleksandr Porunov

Feb 21, 2019, 11:00:53 AM2/21/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1 for dropping support of EOL backends and making it as general policy.

Ryan Stauffer

Feb 21, 2019, 11:01:52 AM2/21/19
to janusgr...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the same

Ryan Stauffer
Founder, Enharmonic, Inc.

Jan Jansen

Feb 21, 2019, 3:11:00 PM2/21/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1 for both dropping support of EOL backends and making it as general policy.

Chris Hupman

Feb 22, 2019, 1:42:41 PM2/22/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1 for both dropping support of EOL backends and making it as general policy.

Chris Hupman

Feb 27, 2019, 3:43:07 PM2/27/19
to JanusGraph developers
I've had to restart the solr 5 test twice today and most weeks I generally have to restart it at least once. we have +1's from 1 TSC member and 3 commiters. Do you all think I'm good to submit a PR removing all the unsupported backends from travis testing?

Jason Plurad

Feb 27, 2019, 4:02:01 PM2/27/19
to JanusGraph developers
+1 makes sense to me

Oleksandr Porunov

Feb 27, 2019, 4:02:37 PM2/27/19
to JanusGraph developers
I believe you can submit PR anyway. If any members have objections they can ask them here or in the PR.

Florian Hockmann

Feb 28, 2019, 3:54:16 AM2/28/19
to JanusGraph developers
we have +1's from 1 TSC member and 3 commiters. Do you all think I'm good to submit a PR removing all the unsupported backends from travis testing?

Next time I'll start such a VOTE, I will include an end date directly in the opening post, 72h like we do for releases should be enough usually.

But yes, I think it's safe to say that the VOTE is closed now. Nearly one week should be enough for anyone to voice their opinion.

Results:

BINDING VOTES:

+1  (5 -- Oleksandr Porunov, Jan Jansen, Chris Hupman, Jason Plurad, Florian Hockmann)
0   (0)
-1  (0)

NON-BINDING VOTES:

+1 (1 -- Ryan Stauffer)