[DISCUSS] JanusGraph 0.2.0 Release

Jason Plurad

Sep 28, 2017, 5:17:33 PM9/28/17
to JanusGraph developers
My first time doing this, so according to the release policy docs...

I'd like to call for a code freeze in preparation for the JanusGraph 0.2.0 release. I propose the code freeze begins at Friday, September 30 at 5 PM Pacific.

Several great features have been contributed since the JanusGraph 0.1.1 release including
  * Cassandra CQL storage adapter
  * Cassandra 3 OLAP adapter
  * Elasticsearch 5 and 6 support
  * Lucene and Solr 6 and 7 support
  * Coding examples
  * Many bug fixes and documentation updates

With today's merge of the dynamic graph manager, I don't think there are any other big items outstanding that would hold up the 0.2.0 release. As discussed previously regarding the TinkerPop version, JanusGraph 0.2.0 will target Apache TinkerPop 3.2.6. The outstanding PR for TinkerPop 3.3.0 support will be at the top of the list for the next JanusGraph release.

I volunteer to be the release manager. After preparing the release artifacts, I'd expect to kick off the voting on Monday.

Robert Dale

Sep 28, 2017, 5:23:23 PM9/28/17
to JanusGraph developers, Jason Plurad
Friday, September 29?
Saturday, September 30?

Robert Dale

Jason Plurad

Sep 28, 2017, 5:47:46 PM9/28/17
to JanusGraph developers
Ha, thanks Robert. Let's go with Saturday, September 30 for code freeze.

Most important date on there is start voting on Monday, October 2.

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 5:23:23 PM UTC-4, Robert Dale wrote:
Friday, September 29?
Saturday, September 30?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 16:17 Jason Plurad wrote:
[...]

Jerry He

Sep 29, 2017, 12:33:13 AM9/29/17
to JanusGraph developers, Jason Plurad
Great. Thanks for taking up the job, Jason.

A couple of questions for the new features (CQL and the Cassandra 3 OLAP). Do we say they are 'new' and 'experimental' in this first release for them?  I guess it will just be what we want to say in the release notes. Also do we have good domentations for them?

Thanks,

Jerry

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:47 PM Jason Plurad <plu...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ted Wilmes

Sep 29, 2017, 10:25:14 AM9/29/17
to JanusGraph developers
Excellent, thanks Jason! I'll be in and out this weekend, but if you start the packaging & prep before Monday drop me a note and I'll see if I can help, same goes if you run into issues come Monday.

--Ted
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to janusgraph-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
--
Robert Dale

Jason Plurad

Oct 2, 2017, 2:37:10 PM10/2/17
to JanusGraph developers
Quick update. We had a nice push over the last few days to get many issues tied down, and things are in pretty good shape.

However, there are a few issues outstanding that need to be addressed:

* Cassandra version - https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/585
    A few minor test case issues with CQL and newer versions. Once resolved, update version compatibility matrix.

* Solr version - https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/588
    Testing against 5.2.1. If it works, update version compatibility matrix. If not, update migration notes.

* Elasticsearch migration
    * https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/589 - update migration notes
    * https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/591 - bug identified

Other than these known items, let's keep the code freeze intact.

I'd still be willing to accept more documentation fixes because those are always good to have. Robert published preview docs at https://robertdale.github.io/docs.janusgraph.org/0.2.0-SNAPSHOT/

Jason Plurad

Oct 4, 2017, 1:42:28 PM10/4/17
to JanusGraph developers
We're getting very close!

Complete
https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/588

Pull request ready
https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/589
https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/591

Fixed, but could use more testing
https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/issues/585

This last item is for Cassandra 3 support. If you follow along on #585, sjudeng has gotten the existing CQL test cases to pass. Still outstanding are some additional changes to enable testing against partitioners and SSL. This is more work than the other items above, so it could push out the release a bit -- let's guess one week, assuming no major issues arise as a result. There are plenty of benefits to this in terms of "certifying" that JanusGraph works with recent Cassandra releases, so I think it's worthwhile to hold up the release for it.

In the meantime, definitely welcome everybody to keep testing it out by building master from source. Docs are still open game and we can probably entertain lower impact fixes also.

If folks have strong opinions on the matter, feel free to chime in on this thread.

Alexander Patrikalakis

Oct 4, 2017, 2:18:15 PM10/4/17
to JanusGraph developers
Also, I probably should add some documentation for the codepipelines module. Theoretically it’s goal is to speed up release testing.

Jason Plurad

Oct 5, 2017, 11:41:27 AM10/5/17
to JanusGraph developers
Docs on codepipelines would be fantastic, Alex. Thanks!

Ted Wilmes

Oct 6, 2017, 11:45:41 AM10/6/17
to JanusGraph developers
I've been doing some OLAP testing and ran into the below issue on two systems using the zip distribution. If you all agree, I think this should be fixed prior to the 0.2.0 release. I'll start taking a look at it. If someone can also reproduce the issue to make sure I'm not off-base, that'd be appreciated too.

Jason Plurad

Oct 11, 2017, 9:31:35 AM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers
The final PRs have been merged. Great work by all involved.
I will start a new thread for voting when the release binaries are ready.

Jason Plurad

Oct 11, 2017, 5:40:13 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developer list
Hello,

We are happy to announce that JanusGraph 0.2.0 is ready for release.

The release artifacts can be found at this location:

A binary distribution is provided for user convenience:

The GPG key used to sign the release artifacts is available at:

The docs can be found here:

The release tag in Git can be found here:

The release notes are available here:

This [VOTE] will open for the next 72 hours --- closing Saturday (October 14, 2017) at 6:00 PM EDT.

My vote is +1.

Thank you,
Jason Plurad

Robert Dale

Oct 11, 2017, 6:00:35 PM10/11/17
to Jason Plurad, JanusGraph developer list
Will the online docs be published separately?

Robert Dale

sjudeng

Oct 11, 2017, 6:40:58 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers
Should the vote be in a separate thread?

Jerry He

Oct 11, 2017, 6:52:26 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers
I see it is in the same thread, but the subject line changed.
Yes, it is better in a separate thread so it more prominent.
Also, given it is a 'major' release, and it is close to the weekend, could we have more time (a week) for the community to VOTE?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jason Plurad

Oct 11, 2017, 6:56:31 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers, Jerry He
It was supposed to be a top level thread. Not sure why Gmail decided to do that to me. I’ll start another thread when I’m back at a computer. Please refrain from voting on this thread.

As for extra time to vote, one week sounds reasonable. Did we do that for 0.1.0 also?

Jerry He

Oct 11, 2017, 7:13:09 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers
Yup.  0.1.0 was 7 days.
Message has been deleted

Jason Plurad

Oct 11, 2017, 8:42:31 PM10/11/17
to JanusGraph developers
For those of you enjoying this as much as I am, it seems like there's some sort of bug when attempting to start a new thread by sending an email to the list. Google really wants to match it to the previous discussion, even though the subject is different. I had to start a new thread directly from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/janusgraph-dev
I may have many challenges, but I really didn't think email was one :-/

Please vote on this thread https://groups.google.com/d/msg/janusgraph-dev/1COIv0_2mMo/EA9RRrgpAgAJ

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 8:12:32 PM UTC-4, Jason Plurad wrote:
Hello,

We are happy to announce that JanusGraph 0.2.0 is ready for release.

The release artifacts can be found at this location:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/tag/v0.2.0

A binary distribution is provided for user convenience:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/download/v0.2.0/janusgraph-0.2.0-hadoop2.zip

The GPG key used to sign the release artifacts is available at:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/download/v0.2.0/KEYS

The docs can be found here:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/releases/download/v0.2.0/janusgraph-0.2.0-hadoop2-doc.zip

The release tag in Git can be found here:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/tree/v0.2.0

The release notes are available here:
        https://github.com/JanusGraph/janusgraph/blob/v0.2.0/CHANGELOG.asc

This [VOTE] will open for the next 7 days --- closing Wednesday (October 18, 2017) at 8:00 PM EDT.